Incubus Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bass element, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Is anybody else feelin' this guy? I think he's got some pretty sweet groove lines and is a pretty creative bassist, yet keeps it kinda simple.

Any response?
  2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    The new one or the old one? Ben Kenney or Dirk Lance? Both are outstanding, Kenney is more slow groove oriented and I like his work a lot. But Dirk Lance was outstanding in his own way and I'd love to have written some of his basslines.
  3. are you talking about the new one ( Ben Kenney ) or the old one ? ( Dirk Lance )
  4. The new one. Sorry bout that.
  5. foot

Oct 23, 2003
    Sao Paulo, Brasil
    yeah.... hes really good... used to play guitar with "the Roots", that says enough about his ability...sometimes the guitar players have a different ear to what should be played on bass....i think his lines are really tasteful...
  6. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    He is unbelievable live.Different solo on Stellar every time!
  7. Before I heard A Crow Left Of The Murder, my friend was telling me how the new Incubus bassist was rubbish and how much more he loved Dirk Lance. I heard the album, and don't agree with him at all. There's some really, really good stuff on the new album; the basslines have a groove but also a kinda technicality to them that kinda set them apart from other "good" bassists. They work really well, the band seem to gel pretty well.

8. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I think both bassist are good, but Dirk does a lot more for me. I get a better feelin' out of Dirk's grooves.
  9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The new guy doesn't do anything for me. Yeah, for the different music Incubus has been doing, he fits right in.
    I use to listened to them back in the day (mid 90's), and that's what I liked, and miss.

A couple of weeks ago, one of the music channels was showing a live recent Incubus concert, and that Ben guy was just wanking all over the place! Many songs that originally had lots of space and simple grooves, he ruined by trying to fill every gap with notes and doing runs wether it fit or not (mostly not). Not really impressed.
  10. me too.

I mean, i really dig the album and my fav songs are from aclotm, but in a bassists view, Dirk was jsut more my cup of tea than Ben is. But maybe i'll change my mind when i get the DVD.
  11. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    You might well do.Ben is outstanding on it!
  12. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Thats interesting because my teacher who's been playing for 27 years has seen them live twice and couldn't complement Kenney's fills enough.
  13. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Ben Kenney is a great musician, however, he tries to fill up every bit of space possible. I am a huge Incubus fan and have seen them live 15 times over the past 10 years. I recently had seen them w/ Ben and he is very talented. He played a killer drum solo as well as some guitar live. He is a jack of all trades. But compared to Dirk, Dirk had the groove.
  14. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I like both basists and I could definitely like Incubus as a whole if they changed their rather "intellectual" approach to music and also change their dumb and boring singer!

15. their "intellectual" aproach and singer is what makes them good.
  16. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    WHAT???? Their lyrics stimulate the mind, poetic, tell a story without so many words. Boyd has some killer pipes on him!! Boring? Ouch.
  17. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Mmm, I don`t agree. I enjoy their approach to music and
    like many of their lyrics.
  18. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Too true!
  19. Both bassists are great, but in different ways.

Personally, i felt that Dirk was more in the pocket. Keeping it tight with the guitarist and drummer moreso then Ben did.

Again personally, i also thought Dirks tone/rig was to die for.
  20. Yes!

I've seen the Live at redrock DVD now, and my opinion is very "divided" about ben Kenney.

I think he plays outstanding on the songs that he recorded, but he just butcheres the older songs... what did he do to a certain shade of green? I wanted to boooh at him for that.

As said before, Kenney might be an excellent musician (i think he plays the bass with a guitar-approach) while Dirk was a great bassist and had the groove.