Inexpensive fretless recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike M., Nov 9, 2011.

1. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I've really had the itch to try a fretless bass. At the church I play at we've been doing a lot of acoustic sets lately and I can really hear a fretless bass in a lot of the songs.

I only play at church once or twice a month, so there's no need for me to go spending big bucks.

Seeing how I love Jazz basses (got a 4 and a 5) I wouldn't mind trying out the Squire fretless. But I also wouldn't mind trying a 5 string fretless either. Right about now I'm open to either.

This is new territory for me, so any recommendations are welcome.

2. As you've mentioned Squire... you're probably aware of the Fretless Vintage Modified Jazz Bass...

It's a great bass... and I'm sure many TBers will suggest the same... the instrument has received some very positive reviews here...

3. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    I second that.

4. aidanmay

aidanmay

May 29, 2011
    Just got a squier vm, shop around though because some are pooly set up and some are really good.

Also be warned that after playing a fretless you will never want to play a fretted again

5. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    +1 On the VM Fretless, I love mine, and had never tried a FL

However...

I don´t fully agree with this, as I miss some things about a fretted bass, and I am getting another, but I am NOT letting th FL go!!

6. +2........on all counts!

7. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    my wife has an SX fretless, as I recall it was under $150 and sound and plays okay for the money

Todd :)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021