1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Inexpensive scale for weighing a bass...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I just picked up this very affordable luggage scale off of ebay, makes weighing instruments very easy:

Portable Digital Scales Hanging LCD Electronic Scale Postal Weighing Luggage | eBay

It takes a CR2032 battery which is not included. I recently bought a sheet of them for my D'Addario tuners so I was set.

Edit: Just noticed this auction says it ships from China. Mine came from Staten Island, NY in 3 days. Not sure why the auction changed. I paid $4.79 for mine including shipping.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Great! I hate having to go to Hardee’s and use their roast beef scale to weigh my instruments.

3. Signalsdrone

Signalsdrone

Feb 6, 2017
    SW Ontario
    I guess you don't own a bathroom scale then?

4. I have a digital fish weighing scale that goes to fifty lbs. and is very accurate and very portable. Works really well for weighing a bass. I've taken it to stores with me.

I made a up a loop. The way I made it , it won't damage a bass and goes on and off in no time at all.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would to the music store or FedEx to weigh my Basses. That little scale is neat.

Badwater likes this.
  6. I already own a digital bathroom scale and a 50 lb. mail scale at the office.

7. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    My local post office was nice enough to weigh my basses. I was always curious how they compared to each other.

Badwater and postalflunkie like this.
  8. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Always visiting the neighborhood dealer was getting a bit awkward as I never bought anything...

Dr_Feelgoood212 likes this.
  9. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    You get what you pay for

10. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
  11. My bathroom scales were off by as much as half a KiloGram, so I bought kitchen scales that are good for items up to 5 Kg.
    It's much more precise.

View attachment 2829420

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  12. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    For that 50 lb largemouth bass that got away, so the story says. :)

I originally weighed mine on a bathroom scale. Later on I got this high precision scale at the resale for $2. Don't know if it was intended for food or drugs or what but it works really well. Yep my 7 string is still about 12 lbs.

Stumbo likes this.
  13. LOL...I meant for weighing a bass not a bass. My bass is a bass so no problem weighing a bass.

DavesnothereCA, JRA, interp and 5 others like this.
  14. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Why would you need to weigh your bathroom?

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    And you'd be wrong. Been using that method for years. It's cool for approximate weight.

This is better. And I only measure once.
    :D

Talkbass delivers as usual. This was a suggestion for people who might like to have something to weigh instruments with. I'm not trying to convince the rest of you that it beats driving somewhere to weigh a bass or using the bathroom scale method or a sundial or whatever... knock yourselves out.
    :D

These scales seem to have a good reputation, they already have a loop to hang instruments on, have two decimal places for lbs./kgs and does temperature for no apparent reason.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

Nothing like a saying rife with exceptions.
    ;)

moonshinegtrs likes this.
  17. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
  18. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    People just doesn't want to do maths. Placing yourself on top of the bathroom scale WITH the bass, and then stepping off, and step on once again WITHOUT the bass and do the deduction*. People think the scale just shows wrong. I have a digital scale that's within 250 grams. Not "half kilos". BTW it won't tell you anything about neck dive, or balance. On the bass that is.

* I sure bet there are people reading this and thinks "oh eureka, why didn't I think of that!!!".

19. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I have a flight luggage scale that's the size of a handle, has a strap and hook, and converts between kg/lb on the display.

20. That sounds exactly like what the OP posted.
    Did you open the link?

Lvjoebass and Brad Johnson like this.