Influential Effect Usage

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Who influenced you to first really get into effects?

The influence that pushed me over the edge into effectdom would be Colin DeKuiper, the first bassist from Russian Circles. Him and the guitarist, Mike Sullivan, had a huge impact on me effect-wise. I still use and borrow lots of tricks that they used which were so influential to me.

Discuss.

2. Dick Tree

Dick Tree

May 26, 2011
    Normal, IL
    Cliff Burton... I bought the Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal around the time it came out because it was very cheap and I wanted to play Pulling Teeth. I think I was about 12 or 13 years old.

3. Billy Gould got me into using a slight overdrive, but it's not really an effect, per se.

The Edge, from U2 got me into delay. With the percussive, metallic bass tones I like and using a pick, I figured it's perfect for bass as well.

Plus, the rhythmic part about delay can definitely be used in a bassline, if not too complicated.

MP3 Player SoundClick

4. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Toss up between Bootsy and Graham.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    The distortion channel on my friend's crappy KMD guitar amp when I was 13. I was jealous, but more importantly, I was in love.

6. wolffman

wolffman

Oct 2, 2008
    Philadelphia PA
    Beta Tester: Red Panda Labs
    i hate to be this guy but...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/what-band-musician-did-inspire-you-use-effects-723679/index7.html

I'll still play anyway- Dan Kurtz of The New Deal. IMO He has the best tone of the jam/live electronica bass players. He got me into playing bass again, jam bands, and ultimately playing effects. Great synth sounds. Seems like he's relatively unknown around these parts.

Most recently it's been Clay Parnell of brothers past. All in all the talkbass community has been the most influential- thanks guys.

7. Gaaaahhhwwww!!! I knew there had to be a similar thread on here. I did a breif "look-at-the-first-page" search and didn't come up with anything.:rollno:

8. spiker

spiker

Nov 29, 2008
    Central Coast NSW Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Puretone Bass strings
    Tim C
    Flea
    Dirk Lance

9. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Les CLaypool

10. Claypool for me as well

11. No one. I thought to myself "Why should synths have all the fun?" and went from there. After that is was all about getting different sounds out of my bass that still fit the bass role but had different and fun characteristics to them. It was kind of like cooking; "Yeah, this tastes great but if I added this, could it taste even better?" Since getting into effects there have been plenty of players whom I love that use effects but they weren't what set off the initial spark.

12. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Geddy Lee: crunchy tone and awesome chorus
    Flea: bass wah-wah, phaser
    Graham: phaser
    Bootsy: everything else!, synth bass
    Chris W: fuzz,synthesis,octaver
    Pino: octaver
    Juan Alderte: bass synth, prog-bass
    Tim C: wah-wah, crunchiness

13. Aphonso Johnson, Percy Jones and Ralphe Armstrong

14. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I started with effects, and only picked up bass years later.

15. Hahaha

I don't know if that was intentional, but it was hilarious.

16. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Juan Alderete - the biggest influence all around
    Timmy C - mostly for dirt sounds
    Flea - mostly for his tone and envelopes

17. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Dr Dre, MCA, Mark Brydon from Moloko, and most of the Big Beat bands of the mid '90s.

Funny that there's only two actual bass players in there, and both are better known for doing other things.

18. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    I can't pin point any one really. Lots of players influenced me. I just know one day many years ago I took my first hit of effects and have been chasing the dragon of tone ever since :D

19. G.Bisson

G.Bisson Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    NIN song "With Teeth" inspired me to explore using bass fuzz.

Roger Waters influenced my use of phasers and delay.

The whole history of rock and metal music has influenced my overdrive and distortion tones.

20. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Ennio Morricone. Depeche Mode. Devo. Van Halen.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021