Innovation Silver Slap vs Piastro Evah Pirazzi Slap

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by jdh3000, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Innovation Silver Slaps

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Piastro Evah Pirazzi Slaps

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    I think I've narrowed down my string search to these two for pizzicato and slap(bowing not necessary); styles are bluegrass, rockabilly, and country

I'm wondering what y'all's experience with these two; durability, ease on fingers, volume, tone... Just how they compare overall and which you all like best.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  2. Get both and let your bass tell you what she likes.
    Nobody can guess how your instrument will perform with them I’m afraid.

3. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    I haven't used Evahs, so can't really compare (so didn't vote).

For the bluegrass heavy roots music I play (and slap for), I've settled on SilverSlaps EA over SBW Deluxe Dirty Guts D (.105") G (.095"). On my DB it's a well balanced mix for tone, clarity, volume and feel both acoustically and amped. This mix has been at work on my DB for 3.5 years with no wear showing yet, but YMMV.

@Francois Blais has it right though, different strings do different things on different instruments. Just have to make an educated guess, and then dive in and try them.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    Sam Reese and jdh3000 like this.
  4. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    I appreciate the advice, and I wish I had the scratch to throw down one a couple sets at once, because that would definitely tell me something... unfortunately I can only get one set right now.

I just trying to get a pretty good idea before I pick one.

Thanks!

5. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    You can buy new individual strings from various sellers including Gollihur Music. That's how I got my SilverSlaps E and A. And you can order a bump set (6-strings of graduating gauge and tension) of Superior Bassworks Deluxe Dirty Gut strings direct for $62.97; Amazon also carries them.

FWIW, I really like the whole set of Dirty Guts when amped, but the E and A were too quiet and unclear acoustically, which is how I play most of the time. The SilverSlaps E and A took care of that.

jdh3000 likes this.
  6. bassfiddlesteve

bassfiddlesteve Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    I've tried both and they are pretty different. The one thing they have in common is that they are low tension.

Evah Slap: The E & A are the best match for a gut D & G I have tried, and if I ever play gut again that's what I'd choose. They are dark sounding and the flats metal metal wrap makes them both comfortable and bow-able. I tried the synthetic D & G on a friend's bass and I was surprised at how gut-like the sound was. Not a good set if you like a lot of growl, but that's not really the goal here.

Innovation Silver Slap: now that I think about it I actually tried the Golden Slaps, but from what I've read they are basically the same as the Silver Slaps, but in a different color. I didn't like these for jazz pizzicato as they had a springy sound with strange overtones that seemed to mask the fundamental. They were easy to slap, but they were very difficult to bow. Unlike the Evah Slaps, there is a plastic quality to these strings, both in sound and feel. I'm told that they mellow out and become darker over time, as most strings do, but I did not stick with them for long enough to experience this. Acoustically, they may have been a touch louder than the Evah Slaps, or that was my perception as they were brighter.

I realize I mentioned bowing which is not a concern, but if I were playing a mix of pizzicato and slap in any genre I'd go with the Evah's

- Steve

7. bassfiddlesteve

Dec 3, 2003
    I actually have short videos of me playing both sets. Same bass in both videos.

Evah Slap (gut D & G):

Golden Slaps:

- Steve

8. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I know that’s what the former company used to say, but it’s incorrect. The materials used in both Silver and Golden Slaps are different and will yield some different sounds, with the latter being more focused and forward sounding than the former.

That’s a direct result of the nylon tape used to build up the string to the final diameter.

9. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    Thanks for sharing the videos!

They both sound good...the Evah Pirazzi sounded better plucked to me. The Golden Slaps had a good slap tone.

I wonder how the Evah Pirazzi full synthetic set sounds compared to gut.

Thanks again!

bassfiddlesteve likes this.
  10. Watch the Classifieds, these strings are often offered at very good prices.
    You'll save a lot of money when buying second-hand.

jdh3000 likes this.
  11. I used Evah synthetic Slaps a lot last year for gigging (late Spring-early Autumn). They're durable (though after taking them off and trying the G with a mixed set, I must say be careful of the wrap if you take them off/on). They are "soft" on the hands, delightful really. As for how the are on your fingers depends on how you are on them. When I'm stinky to any strings they reward me with blisters. Volume & tone...not sure how to answer these cuz I'm a TI Spiro junkie these days. To be fair re: vol/tone, I'm seriously thinking about putting my set on the Czech flatback to hear if I like them on "my other axe".

Keith Rawlings and jdh3000 like this.
  12. bassfiddlesteve

Dec 3, 2003
    Dang, right I after I posted that I thought "I hope @Jon Moody doesn't read this" :laugh:

I'm a big fan of GHS strings, but this particular Innovation set wasn't for me. Perhaps I would have tried the Silver Slap instead set if I had know about this difference.

- Steve

13. If you're not at all into arco play, and money is a factor, then go with the Silver Slaps. Less $$. I have the Golden Slaps and they are pretty fun strings, but completely unbowable.

I have Polychromes on another bass that are good for the 3 (pizz, arco, slap), higher tension than the Golden Slaps, but I am curious about these EP Slaps...

jdh3000 likes this.
  14. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Hahahaha sorry, no such luck lol

If they don't work for you, that's totally cool! My only gripe is when someone says something like "I don't like them" without any thought behind it. I find that more on the EB side of things. DB players seem much more intune with their basses; what they excel at, and where the shortcomings are.

The Silver Slaps aren't bad, just a bit more mellow than the Golden. I'm using a hybrid Rockabilly/Silver Slaps set on a Baby Bass, and I might go to the Golden Slaps for the extra definition on the pizz attack.

jdh3000, bassfiddlesteve and dhergert like this.
  15. @Jon Moody can you use these Golden Slaps w/ the Krivo pickup? Evah Slaps, no.

16. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    While we're waiting for Jon's response, here's what Gollihur Music's Krivo description says:

"

Strings reported to be GOOD for magnetic pickup use:

• Eurosonics
    • Pirastro Original Flexocore
    • Thomastik Spirocores, Superflexible
    • Corelli 370 (I can vouch for these)
    • Innovation Polychrome (work but with lowered output)
    • D'Addario Zyex (work but with lowered output)
    • Jargar dolce
    • D'Addario Helicore-- (Note: though I have my concerns with the E string; seems as if its response is somewhat lower than the other strings, at least the Orchestra and Hybrids I tried seemed that way.)
    "

jdh3000 likes this.
  17. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Nope. I don’t believe we use any ferrous metals in the winding of those.

dhergert and Sam Reese like this.
  18. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    Had Rockabilly slaps on my ply for a number of years and loved them. Very poor for arco. No experience w/ Innovation's other products.

Replaced them w/ EP slap guts, and love these SO MUCH more. Plus easily bowable. IMO there's no comparison.

I guess I understand going w/ Innovations if $ is that much of a consideration, but when so many strings say they are "gutlike", why not see what gut is actually like? :D

jdh3000 likes this.
  19. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

The EP Slaps were louder on my bass.

jdh3000 likes this.
  20. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    I believe they are both close in price at the String Emporium, that of course would both being fully synthetic.

Thanks!