1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Innovation strings for bluegrass

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by bassicsax, May 22, 2011.

1. bassicsax

bassicsax Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    has anybody ever tried the innovation rockabilly strings in a bluegrass setting?

2. Haven't tried them in a Bluegrass thing but in a Roots Rockabilly and County setting they work pretty well! I'd think they'd be really good for traditional Bluegrass. On some levels they're very gut like, the feel is similar and the sustain and definition of the note too. I liked the more pronounced clarity of the lower strings and I thought the slap sound was not bad at all...my only problem was with bowing them, which the D and G strings really don't seem to like too well on my bass. I think they'd be great with a Bluegrass band.

Bigbassguy likes this.
  3. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I liked them best of all the Innovation strings. A good choice for Bluegrass, I'd say.

4. bassicsax

bassicsax Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    awesome, by roots rockabilly do you mean the johnny cash style country? because if you do thats actually a little closer to the style i will be playing more often rather than a traditional bluegrass although i do play a little traditional bluegrass...

5. kg4muc

kg4muc

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia
    I am currently using the 140 SLP set in a bluegrass/traditional environment and have to say I'm impressed how they sound. I had planned on the 140 SS super Silver set but for some reason decided to go with a little lower tension at the spur of the moment and was a little worried they might not be what I wanted but they perform well over a microphone or using my BassMax.

Pretty much a happy camper... for now anyway :)

Wayne

6. I actually went back to Innovation RABs on the E and A string, with Lambert Resolution D & G strings (I'm not sure if they make them any more) on my Swingmaster, and I have to admit, that's a combo that's hard to beat! Plenty of definition and sustain (well, in a gut-like way but better) and a real nice snap to the slap sound! I tried a few other strings but these seem to work best for the Rockabilly/Swing/Country stuff, and I'm guessing they'd be great for Bluegrass as well. I have to admit I wasn't as happy with the Inno D & G, but they weren't bad...just that the Lambert's were even better.

7. Gary Lynch

Gary Lynch

Nov 18, 2008
    Sonoita AZ
    I have heard a lot of good reports on the Innovation Super Silver strings. I might try a set. Looks like the right tension for me. Anyone here use these now?

8. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    I have them on my old (1939) Kay. I think they're excellent for this bass. The tension is not as tight as I'm used to, but older kays seem to like lower tension. I think silver slaps are even lower still.

I have to admit that I play this bass less than my carved bass, but I still think the Super Silvers are a good choice for bluegrass, folk, roots, country, etc.

9. I just ordered a set of 140SS for a SB2 I just bought for 300.00....Can't wait to see how they sound.

10. Gary Lynch

Gary Lynch

Nov 18, 2008
    Sonoita AZ
    I may enjoy the lower tension, or should I say my hands and wrist may enjoy the lower tension.

11. Bigbassguy

Bigbassguy

Jun 5, 2017
    I putting these on my 61 S1 kay tomorrow. I think it will sound great. I'll let you know.

12. Bigbassguy

Bigbassguy

Jun 5, 2017
    Ok so they are new and sound a bit bright for me. I think they need to break in I hope!

13. Fretwell put Super Silvers on my bass years ago and I like them a lot. Very easy on the fingers. I went back for a tune-up last fall and Jerry thought the strings were still in fine shape and didn't need changing (although they are getting a bit green).

Now, I don't have a lot of experience with strings. The originals were probably arco strings that just tore my fingers up. The Super Silvers are like velvet after that.

14. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i have silver slaps on one bass and am looking to approximate the feel and tone on a different bass but would like a smooth winding rather than that round wound feel. are the rockabillys a smooth tape wound version of the silver/golden slaps with similar tension and sound?

15. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    anyone?

16. Bigbassguy

Bigbassguy

Jun 5, 2017
    I think they would be fine
    Just play you add off and everybody will love it