Input Jack?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by anotherbassist, Dec 19, 2003.

1. hey
    I was just at radioshack lookin for a jack to connect to my pc is it better to get the double or single banded jack, i think headphone was double banded, and audio was single banded? Can I hook my bass cable straight to my pc or do i have to put it to my amp?
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Use the single banded jack for a bass or guitar.

Bass straight to PC will probably work, although the volume level may be a little low.

Try using a good DI box, or something like a SABDDI (Sans-Amp Bass Driver Direct, something like that). It's basically a little bass preamp with some rudimentary tone controls.

What you need to do, is to boost the output of your instrument (which is typically 100 mV peak to peak), into the range of one of the standard recording levels, either -10 dB or +4 dB.

If you're using an active bass, you might be able to get away without a preamp. My Roscoe, for example, is very "hot" compared to most basses, with a fresh battery I can get almost 6 volts p-p out of the Bartolini preamp. But that's unusual. You'll have to boost the volume on most active basses, and all passive basses.
  3. How do i boost the output tp -10dB or +4dB,
    i have a passive ibanez gsr200 with a fender rumble 100, if that helps at all