Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing a QSC power amp in an SKB rack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PaulYeah, Apr 24, 2004.

1. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I just got my QSC RMX1450 power amp, BBE BMax preamp and SKB 6-space rack case delivered from Musician's Friend. :hyper:

This is my first time dealing with this type of equipment, and I want to install everything correctly. I'm planning on putting the power amp in the bottom two rack spaces to keep the rack bottom-heavy. Will I need those rack wing thingies for the rear of the power amp if I do this? Also, would it make more sense to install the amp higher in the rack since it will be generating lots of heat? Are there any other things I should keep in mind when I put this thing together?

Thanks in advance,
    PaulYeah

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Since the RMX is so heavy, its a good idea to use the rear rack ears. That will help make the rack more structurally solid overall, and it will keep the weight of the amp from torquing on the front ears and the rack rails.

I would mount it on the bottom to keep the rack bottom-heavy, like you said. The QSC draws air in the back and blows it out the front, so you don't need to worry so much about circulation above and below it. That said, if you have any rack spaces left over, keep a space open above the amp.

3. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    i just got a rmx2450 and a skb 8 space last week. but i don't know what yuo mean by mounting it from the rear? i am interesting because it does way alot and i don't want my rack getting bent out of shape. also my dumb a** put everything in up side down and i had to switch everything around let me say after that thing is in there it is not fun taking it back out. also yuo might want to thing about getting vent panel they make a rack look bad a**, and they cost like $7.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It won't matter to the amp whether you put it at the top, bottom, or middle of the rack case. But becase the amp is heavy, it might be best to have it at the bottom.

To help protect both the amp and the rack case if it ever gets dropped or otherwise collides with something, use rear rack ears to secure the back or the amp to the rear rack rails.

QSC sells these rear rack ears that are about 3 inches long: http://www.qscstore.com/rearsupracea.html

We will once again have rear rack ears that are about 7 inches long. These will be available probably some time in May.

Some other companies make and sell comparable bits of hardware: Penn Fabrication, for one, and possibly Middle Atlantic Products.