1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Interesting Project!

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by x15, Apr 13, 2009.

1. x15

x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    Hey everybody,

Day before yesterday a professional story teller came upto me and asked me to accompany him musically while he read out a modern-english version of the merchant of venice..
    i immediately said yes, because its probably more challenging than a lot of things i've done before (i play with a swing trio)
    and i figured it would really take things to a new level..

the problem is, i'm not too proficient with using a bow - which
    would have really helped the situation - but i'm mostly going to
    stick with fingers on this one.. to create more of an ambience as opposed to playing proper melodies.. i might even play through some etudes pizzicato..

i'm not really sure.. but i'd love and would appreciate massively any creative input whatsoever!

cheers : )

2. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
    You could take the book (or the movie :)) and make a plan what you are going to do. I like to plan, what "tools" i'm going to use, like: An atonal melody with the bow, or transitioning from clusterlike double stops to high harmonic playing, or playing entirely percussive on the bass with hands and malletts, the list goes on. So you could plan what you are going to use in each situation, without completly preplaning each note.
    You should keep in mind, that you are playing the accompaniment to the story teller, so your musical concept should be much more static, than a typical solo bass performance. If you play like Dave Holland on Emerald Tears, nobody will listen to the story anymore.
    And: Are playing while the story teller is reading, or are you silent most of the time and commenting, when the text stops, like an ancient greek choir? Many possibilities, lots of fun if you have a plan, no fun if can't play because you can't decide one of the many things to do, in the moment.

P.S.: Hope it's understandable. English is not my native language.

3. x15

x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    perfectly understandable : ) thank you.. i spoke with him today and i tried to figure out the same thing you mentioned, how much i'm supposed to be background music and how much i am supposed to directly interact with his reading .. it seems like he's given me a lot of creative freedom.. i'm sitting with the script right now and hopefully will have something jotted down! thank you again.