1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Interesting...Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Apr 14, 2019 at 10:15 AM.

1. [​IMG]

Do you think the advantage of moving the pickups around outweighs the practicality of having mass to create sustain and tone.

I would love to try it...would also be very cool if you could swap out pick up styles...

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    depending on various factors it could have sufficient mass to produce good sustain and tone. imo it all starts with the neck and if it's great then the join is the next crucial point, after that it can go any which way pro or con. if Harmos could produce a very toneful and high sustain steel guitar out of a tinker toy concept then this bass idea should be able to do the same.
    upload_2019-4-14_6-4-47.

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
  4. I do...& I agree, I would love to try it. P/U placement, IME, has a far greater influence on overall sound than mass of body does.

This is VERY intriguing. Thanks for posting

retslock likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Pickup placement every time. Way more important to me.

retslock, JRA and mcnach like this.
  6. OUCH! I just looked, this is VERY expensive!!

download.

MattZilla likes this.
  7. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not me, but this reminds me of the 80's Westone Rail

8. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    The old Gibson Grabber had a single pickup you could slide back and forth. I don't think it really revolutionized anything.

[​IMG]

9. zubrycky

zubrycky

Aug 22, 2011
    That's a very interesting thread. Thanks!

My gut feeling tells me that pickup placement is more important than the instrument mass. Besides that, pickup placement does affect the tone because it also determines the space available for the fingers of the plucking hand.

hintz and JRA like this.
  10. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    best implementation of this concept that I've seen:

He does use it, too: it's on the David Gilmour live in Pompeii DVD, on (I think) Run Like Hell.

Peace,
    SoundSupport

11. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Pick up placement is key. If your instrument is properly designed the PU's should be in the right place to start. I don't see moveable PU's as a good tone control. If it were there would already be successful designs in circulation. I deem it just another gimmick.

Low84, Picton, Fialka and 1 other person like this.
  12. I like the idea of sliding pickups. The tonal possibilities are at their maximum. The only downside is the appearance. The channel needed makes an otherwise beautiful instrument look like a test mule. It would be a novel idea to have a lever similar to a whammy bar attached to the pickup enabling it to move while performing, sort of like a built in wah. Has that been done yet?

13. teh-slb

teh-slb

Sep 21, 2018
    Berlin
    More parts that move means that I would break the poor thing quicker :(

Hurricane Jimmie likes this.
  14. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Didn't Gibson try this in the Ripper? Bass?

15. LkS

LkS

Oct 30, 2013
    EU, Slovakia
    I'm just gonna go ahead and say no. An answer to a question no one is asking. It has been tried before and no one picked it up for real.

16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

yes, of course. :) idea vs. myth. :D

17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yes. Sold close to 6000 of them before they ceased production. But it got tripped up by two design issues. First, the rails were basically plastic on plastic and they could distort, bind, or break over time. Second, it was primarily marketed to the hard rockin’ crowd who tended to subject it to rougher handling than its design could endure long-term.

Winoman and scuzzy like this.
  18. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    I have a Grabber with a movable pickup. Position definitely affects tone, although I play it with it all the way toward the neck 90% of the time. Still works great; bought it new in 1983.

That Norton looks really sweet, though.

Winoman and 40Hz like this.
  19. As per the post from @soundsupport1 Guy Pratt asked the question and Warwick answered.

20. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, wouldn't a PU Blend knob do pretty much the same thing?