Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interference & Laptops?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by blipndub, Nov 18, 2004.

1. I've been recording my band practice on my pc laptop with an m-audio mobile pre. All is well, except when I use the direct out from my amp into the pre. I get all kinds of like radio frequency. It's very annoying and i end up not running the DI.

Has anyone else run into this kind of problem, any workarounds?

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    That is pretty strange. Are you sure its RF? Are you hearing broadcast, or wierd snaps and crap? This may seem obvious but you might try a different cable. It could be that the XLR you are using might have a bad solder somewhere, making it unbalanced and susceptible to RF junk.

I'd be interested to hear what is causing this. I would almost say that if it is indeed RF you have to have gone unbalanced somewhere in there.

3. I hadn't thought about the cable, but now that I think back i did use the same cable both times with two different heads, so that would make some sense!

No practice this week, will have to try with a fresh cable next week. thanks for the suggestion!

4. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Does your laptop, by chance, have a wireless card? If so, it could be that. If you put a bass right by one of those you can hear the frequencies through the amp. There are a lot of other frequencies being emitted, so that's quite likely the cause of what you're hearing. As far as solutions go, I don't really know. If it is indeed a wireless card/modem, you could just unplug those components.

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Like when you stand next to speakers when you are on a cell phone. The only thing is, is if his amp was reacting to the wireless card he would probobly hear it coming through his cab too, right? There is definately a distinct difference between your standard run of the mill RF and the crap that wireless emits, at least in my experiance this true. I did not even think about "Wi-Fi" being the culprit.

6. It does have a wireless card and there is a wireless network in the house where we play. Hadn't considered that either. I got the laptop in part to do portable recording, I guess I'm learning some of the limitations...

7. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    All the wireless stuff is kind of a bitch sometimes. I run into RF problems when I do field work. So much crap in the air waves these days, if its not HDtv its Wi-Fi in someones house. I'll stop before I start ranting. Obvously the easiest way to tell is to try your set up else where.