Interview with Susan Rogers (Prince's sound engineer)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass12, Jun 8, 2018.

1. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones?

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Here's an interesting discussion with Susan Rogers, who engineered some of Prince's most famous recordings.

SirMjac28, Snaxster and jerry like this.
  2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Thank you for this. Since I couldn't watch the video during my workday, I found and quickly read this interview instead:

In the studio with Prince: Susan Rogers recalls her five years as the star's staff engineer

A moment ago, replying to someone's comments on that interview after I shared it, I wrote

"If Ms. Rogers’s account is accurate, then during those years she was Prince’s peer, no less.

In the past American century alone, there are a number of examples of exceedingly brilliant musicians who led others of equivalent, but complementary greatness to support their singular pursuit. Enough to suggest that this is a standard model of organization for bringing to light musics that none of the individuals in each case could have achieved alone.

Duke Ellington, Stevie Wonder, Miles Davis, James Brown, Sly Stone… we remember them first as individual geniuses. But in fact the musical innovation and excellence of which each is iconic always was a team effort.

Prince knew this at the outset, I believe, and used his own embodiment of the leader figure to organize his musical and commercial ascension accordingly. Sadly, if fittingly, like some others before him, Prince lacked the wisdom to temper his drive, and so estranged some of his very best collaborators along the way. Ms. Rogers may have been among the first of those."​

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 7, 2021