1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Intonation question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jarrydee, May 29, 2012.

1. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I am still kinda getting the hang of making my bass play right, so if this question is a common sense one, I apologize.

ok so my strings are in tune when open (EADG) They are also in tune at the 12th fret when using the harmonic, BUT...they are sharp at the 12th fret and above when pushing on the fret, NOT the harmonic. So is this normal? If I was to adjust it so that it is in tune when pushing at the 12th fret, then it would be OFF with the harmonic. I am sorry if I am not explaining this right, I hope I am using the term HARMONIC the right way! So do I have trouble hear or what. my bass is an fender American Standard p 2011...thank you!

2. mech

mech

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    The open string and the 12th fret harmonic are always "in tune". When setting intonation compare the 12th fret harmonic with the 12th fret fretted. If the 12th fret fretted is sharp, lengthen the string with the saddle adjustment screw. If the 12th fret fretted is flat, shorten the string with the saddle adjustment screw.

mech

3. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    oh man, ok...I always though it was the OPEN string and the harmonic.....THANK you so much....

4. mech

mech

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Any time. :)