Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

intonation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Sep 24, 2005.

1. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey everyone I before I posted I looked at the Gary Willis set up site and read the directions but I cant get my intonation to change. When I turn the screw my intonation doenst change. When I go and see if my G is still in tune it still is also when I turn the screw it does nothing anyone no why?

2. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    if you are trying to move the saddle towards the neck then the saddle or screw will generally require a bit of a push to move it. You can not rely on the spring to move it against string pressure.
    Jeff

3. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    Before turning the screw to move the bridge saddle, did you turn the machine tuner to release tension on the string? If the string is under tension (in tune) the saddle may not move - turning the adjuster screw simply backs it out against the spring pressure.

4. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    thanks for the help I would tune the string first then I would adjust it off. should I realese tension in the string then adjust intonation then tune it back up?

5. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Always release tension on your string before doing saddle adjustments & TR adjustments.

6. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    What do I do to realese tension just turn the tuning machine? But if I lossen to tunning machine that means when I do the inotation it would be right when I tune it back up to the actual note.

7. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    what kind of tuner are you using? It's kind of a waste of time trying to intonate something properly without an actual strobe tuner.

I know there's a pretty serious difference in sensitivity in my Korg rack tuner between the strobe function and the cents function.

8. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    that is might be why im using a fender pt-10 I think and it measures in cents.

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Yeah, those types of tuners that step through LED's have enough margin between steps that they don't do a very good job for that level of precision. They're fine for everything else but intonation is tough.

Still, you ought to be able to see some change in the tuner from one extream to the other. You'll just never know when you're dead on.

10. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    I could turn the screw on the bridge all day and the tuner wouldnt change.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't have any familiarity with that Fender tuner but I regularly use a Korg tuner that you can buy for $20 to set my intonation and it works great. True, the intonation isn't set to the nth degree like a strobe tuner would do it, but nobody could tell the difference. I have perfect pitch and I can't tell the difference.

And even with a cheap tuner, you should be able to move the screw enough to register a difference. From what I've seen in this thread, I wonder if the original poster is turning his intonation screw enough to make a difference. I also wonder if he's making sure the screw stays against the back of the bridge. I used to have that problem with my Fender P. I noticed that the saddle was staying put and the screw was moving.

So really crank that screw and see if it makes a difference and check to make sure it's flush against the back of the bridge at all times. You won't be able to intonate as well with a Fender tuner but you should be able to do an adequate job.

12. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    one thing's for sure...if the saddle is moving, the intonation is moving.

13. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    So when the screw should never come out from the bridge? I think I found my problem then when I adjust my intonation I turn the screw and it starts coming out from the bridge. So what should happen is when I turn the screw it should always stay flush? So if I kept turning it the saddle would move farther or closer from the neck depends on which way I turned the screw. My last question what do you guys to to relieve the tension of the string? do you just tune it down to another note and adjust your intonation then tune back up or what do you guys do to relieve the tension in the string. and JimmyM im curious where you born with perfect pitch or did you do that David Lucas Burge course I have the David Lucas Burge course and im wondering in it actually works?

14. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    "Releasing the Tension" on a string is a fancy way of saying " Turn the tuning peg until the string goes slack". And, yes...after you make any adjustments to the intonation...tune the string back up so the tuner says it's "in tune" and then check the intonation on the 12 fret. if it still needs adjustment, repeat all the steps again. It's a tedious process, but worth it to get it right. And, NO the screw should not be poking out the back of the bridge when you loosen the saddle screw. you may have to push it in while turning to get the saddle to move forward or back.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1 What Masher said, except on bridges that adjust intonation with a screw in the back, I find that it's not necessary to loosen the string. I've been playing 30 years, and in all that time, I think I may have broken one string adjusting the intonation while the string was tuned to pitch. I have a couple bridges that do require it, and it's tedious and I dread adjusting intonation on them. Especially the guitar with the Floyd Rose...geez, what a pain!

Bass Extremes, I was born with perfect pitch. I really didn't know I had it until I was 16. Up until then I thought everybody could hear pitches and know what they were without a reference. I'll tell you this though...having perfect pitch + a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. Yeah, I can figure out chord changes and basslines a little quicker than the average person. But it doesn't make you a better musician or a better singer. Learned that lesson the hard way. I can sing out of tune just as well as anyone. I can hear pitches very well, but I have to struggle to get my voice to match the pitches in my head.

As for the David Burge course, I have no experience with it, but I have talked to a couple people who have gone through it, and they say they do hear pitches better but don't feel they've developed perfect pitch as a result.

16. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Quick question if the if the fretted 12th note is sharp does the scale length need to get longer or shorter?

Thanks, Kris

17. Shorter

18. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    I have the David Burge course but I haven't gone through yet but I can tell you it opens my ear more than I had... I have both the relative and perfect pitch lessons and both helps me... but I lack discipline to do 15 min. of exercise everyday...

19. JTE

JTE

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    If the fretted note is sharp compared to the open string (or the 12th fret harmonic), then you need to make the string longer. When you fret a string you make it shorter and that raises the pitch. So if the fretted note is sharp, that means the string is too short between the saddle and the 12th fret. Tighten the intonation screw and make the string longer.

John

20. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Longer. The bridge end of the 12th fret is too close to the saddle if the sound is sharp and it needs to be farther away.