1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Invisible EFX Operators?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by behndy, Apr 27, 2010.

1. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    hey there tb.

went to see Muse a bit ago and it's the first time i noticed a main member playing where all the pedal switching was done by a tech that wasn't visible.

do y'all think that's a bit cheesy? or just a smart way to free up a player when you're at Rock Star level?

hurm?

-0behn desu0-

2. haha this was debated a bit last week in this thread... http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650562

in my personal opinion it would be cheesy if chris (im assuming you mean chris[bass] even though matt [guitar] has most of his done off stage too), wasn't doing heaps of bv's. it can be hard to focus on singing harmonies, and switching effects IMO.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hey, if Roger Waters can have another bassist in the shadows actually playing the bass lines (as was the case at nearly all his live shows), then Muse can have a guy working the pedals.

4. for real? where did you hear/read this?

5. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland

You Doubt Bongo!!! IS YOUR EARTH FLAT OR SOMETHING!!!

Actually I've never heard that either. Subbed

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I've read it many times over in the Bassists forum. So it's a third- or fourth-hand claim... but I wouldn't have said it if I weren't reasonably convinced by the number of Pink Floyd fans saying it.

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
  8. Roger Walters miming live. lame. i apologise behndy, i didnt mean to hijack your thread

9. I think that's common practice among "Rock Star level" players. If you watch some rig rundown videos or portraits of guitar techs on youtube you will often find, that, for many reasons, the switching is done off-stage. Gives you freedom to move around and do "Rock Star level" posing I guess...

10. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    huh. thanks for the link to the other thread Slurples. i was a bit lazy about actually SEARCHING the topic. woot.

yeah... i remember the first time i ever read about this was the bass player for Van Halen many years back. there was a quote about a roadie offering to do all his pedal switching, the bass player (forget his name. never that big a fan of VH) said "are you sure you know when what gets changed?" and the roadie said something like "pffft. if i don't know where the changes are after being your tech for this many years then you should fire me.".

i guess i can understand. i dropped about $700 on a bypass looper just to rein in and make 10 pedals easier.

dunno about the sub player in the background. that's bad times.

thanks!

-0behn desu0-

11. that is not 100% accurate.
    i admit he lipsyncs, but he plays bass live.. Sometimes Roger and Andy Fairweather Low (or Ian Richie (sax)) play bass too. But none of them is "in the shadows" You can actually see them playing behind Roger.