Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

INXS Rock Star Debuts

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boplicity, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Mark Burnett's latest reality show debuted tonight, INXS Rock Star. To cut to the chase, this show kicks "American Idol's " fanny all over the place.

These singers are so impressive. The backup band plays every style of rock so well. Who IS that band?

What was most surprising is that INXS are auditioning girls as well as guys to replace Michael Hutchence who killed himself a few years back. I lOVED Hutchence. Maybe that's why I'd like a guy to replace him, but some of these young ladies are really interesting singers with strong voices and really good stage presence. Some of the guys have strong potential, too.

For me the format of the show is far more interesting than American Idol. They make you like all the contestants right away. It is fascinating watching the members of INXS respond to the various contestants.

Rod Navarro and Brook Burke are the hosts and Navarro has the role of a "big brother," so to speak, of the contestants. He also advises the band on his own preferences among the contestants.

The judging and commentary is done in a far better, more informative way than on American Idol. No one tries to be a smart aleck like SImon Cowel or try to be cute or super nice like Puala Abdul or Randy Jackson.

I hope some of you here saw the show which will be on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesadays until the winner is chosen, who then will sing on INXS's new CD and front the band. I'd like to hear what you thought of the show tonight and if you think this is a good way to choose a front man/woman for the band.

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i think its lame, it makes the guys in inxs seem stupid. IMO this is just one avenue rock didnt need to sell out down. I feel dirty.

3. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    My opinion is a little bit different...A lot of us complain there's no talent out there with all the bubblegum garbage that's being recorded. It's nice to see a bunch of people born to rock sing their guts out, LIVE, no holes barred. In addition, the band does kick and it's a big live jam. And you can see professionals judge each person's singing in a professional way...A lot people can learn from it. Everything is quality. Rock actually can use this publicity, too.

4. Boplicity

Each to his own. I kind of figured that many hard rock fans would see this show as a sell out. But I did enjoy hearing these young singers audition. Furthermore, I didn't think the INXS band looked stupid. They are going to get a lot of publicity through this show and their new CD will sell quite well if the public has some connection to the winner.

What I really appreciate is that this show didn't show endless tryouts for the show and play hour-after-hour of really lame, hopeless singers auditioning like American Idol does. These singers were auditioned off camera and only the best were chosen and shown to us. We were spared that silliness of horrible no-talent dorks.

The band members said they "agonized" over who to let go from this first show. They didn't even agree with Rod Navarro on each case. Their comments about each singer's weaknesses and strengths were enlightening. I was surprised how forthcoming they were about the vital importance of image and stage presence.

Another thing, it was enjoyable to hear all the rock songs and hear that kick-butt band. All that said, I know that some hard core rock fans will see the show as too commercial and would prefer that INXS choose their new frontman/woman through closed auditions.

5. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I myself like the show...I was never a real big INXS fan, so I guess them selling out or whaterver dosn't really bother me...I'm just happy they have a real band playing behind them. I just like watching live music.

Im not even a Dave Navarro fan either, but im liking the show.
    I might change my mind if it gets to be more about drama then music.

cheers,

6. Boplicity

Roundwound, I didn't see your reply when I answered. I'm on your side on this one. I think hopeful rock singers could really learn worthwhile information from this show.

This show is done much more seriously than American Idol and I feel it is aimed at a totally different audience, one that is more sophisticated musically than a pop-oriented audience would be.

One thing it will certainly show young rock vocalist hopefuls is how tough the competition is out there. It also shows that the fair sex can be fantastic rock singers too. (But I think only a guy can replace Michael Hutchence. INXS would be going in a somehwat different direction with a front woman.)

7. TechZilla

TechZilla

Jun 18, 2005
    Owensboro, KY
    As a lifetime despiser of reality TV I can truly say I kinda liked it. If they stick to the performances and stay away from all the other B.S. I may keep watching.

8. Boplicity

Fender Hot Rod, you have a good point about the live rock music. What other TV show gives us quality live rock?

The other thing, thanks for correcting me. The name is DAVE Navarro and I have been calling him Rod. I knew a Rod Navarro once, so I guess I got confused.

Like you., I hope the show doesn't degenerate into a typical reality show drama of personalities. I have confidence that it won't because I think INXS is serious enough about their new singer and would not want to allow a vapid drama to detract from or cheapen the charisma of Hutchence's replacement.

9. Boplicity

Hey! I'm really glad I'm not alone in enjoying this new show. Maybe Mark Burnett has learned that people are tiring of the same old, same old reality show format and he will give us something with substance.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm usually the first one to role his eyes when someone says, "sell out", but even I have my limits. I think the show is a slap in the face to Michael Hutchence. C'mon, your singer kills himself and you create a farce of a reality to show to find his replacement?

11. Some interesting info on INXS perhaps?

Michael Hutchence died in unusual circumstances in 97. He was found hanged from the door-return mechanism in a Sydney hotel room. Some suggested that he had been involved in a drug-fuelled sexual ritual that went wrong.

At the time, the popularity of INXS was on the wane, and there was a distinct possibility that the band would have split anyway and Michael Hutchence had indicated he was keen to record as a solo artist. Its interesting to note that in the late 80's, INXS were the biggest selling rock band in the world - they outsold U2!!

Anyway, after Hutchences death, the remaining members of the group recruited Aussie singer Jon Stevens for some live shows, and were going to continue with him as a recording member of INXS, which didn't eventuate.

As for a female singer in INXS? already been done. After Jon Stevens was "asked to leave", the Ferriss brothers recruited Suze DeMarchi from Aussie band "Baby Animals". This union went nowhere, so next stop? Why, Reality TV of course!

12. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I bet they didn't come up with it...I bet some producer or manager pitched the Idea to them and hounded them until they said all right. Like the whole Motley Crue getting back together. They didn't rejoin for a reunion tour on their on free will they had pr people or somebody from the record company get them together. They didn't even know where Mike Mars was are what kind of shap they he was in.

Anyway, I was telling my wife. Look at all these singers getting the credit, but the band knows all the songs. :)

13. Yesterday afternoon I was flipping through radio stations and I heard this song I kinda liked. I asked my fiancee who it was, she didn't know. As soon as it got to the chorus I recognized it as Kelly Clarkson.

For someone who's been slugging it out in bar bands forever, I hate the idea of someone just walking into a recording contract. I hate the idea of a karaoke singer walking into a recording contract and becoming a "star" without having gone through all the shizzle that "builds character."

I haven't seen the INXS show, but I assume there's more to it than just auditioning for the job. Where shizzle like VH-1's Bands On The Run seemed hokey for all the reality show contest elements of it, I can't see this being any good for rock and roll.

Yeah, you can be a rock star with a formerly legitimate band without having had to get yourself dirty...

14. True, and a point I made earlier I think has been missed.

At the time of Hutchences death, INXS were very much on the wane, if not about to split.

I think this tv program will give them their very last 15 minutes of fame. Could be wrong, but none of the Aussie Idol winners have done anything past their first album....

15. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Its funny how almost everything that sounds like it could be a Saturday Night Live skit from years ago has become reality.
    Andy Warhol was sooooo right.

16. I saw at least 2/3 of the vocalists perform on tonight's show. The vocalists that I saw, I was not impressed. The guy who sang "Smells like Teen Sprit" performed poorly, IMO. Not to mention the woman who forgot the lyrics to the song that she was singing. I think they could have found better people who fit with their music on MySpace. I just think it's a stupid idea to make a reality TV show to find a replacement singer for INXS. I'm not a big fan of INXS, but I think it will be hard to replace Michael Hutchence.

17. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I watched this partly because of your review, although I already was curious. I think this is the first reality show I ever watched for an entire hour. I'm not sure I'll do that again, frankly. It did kick butt on American Idol, but that's shooting pretty low. A friend of mine was on AI, and made the semifinals. I've always wanted to ask about how he perceived it. He'd previously been laboring for years on self-financed tours, FWIW. I don't think he got many gigs on the strength of doing the show, but I'll have to ask him about that too.

Anyhow, I thought that all the singers are way too young to fit in gracefully with INXS. I mean, they're practically geezers, no? There were some good technical singers, and definitely a few entertaining vibes, but I can't actually imagine any of them sticking with the band. I might check back in when they start actually singing with INXS rather than the Hollywood band, I guess. It makes sense to start with covers of other bands, but that just doesn't do it for me.

There was also far too much of the usual annoying stuff for my taste, but I'm about as cynical as they come, I guess. Still, I'd give it about an 80: had a good beat at times, you could dance to it. :cool:

Is it a good way to choose a front man? Sure, what've they got to lose at this point? Front woman? Nah, I don't think it'll fly. I'm hoping the band will present some new songs to the vocalists, or vice versa; that would be interesting.

18. As a long time and passionate fan of INXS I felt confused watching the opening episode tonight. Part of me feels like they should have stopped long ago and part of me would still go see them on their world tour. In the end that's just my opinion, if the guys from INXS think it's the way to go I can't argue with that, I still love their music but I still find it partly creepy.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Agreed.
    As a passing fan (at best) of INXS I agree with this also.

However, as a musician I have to give the guys in the band the benefit of the doubt. After all, it wasn't their choice to have their careers utterly destroyed by Hutchence's untimely death. On the wane or not, they were selling lots of records (if lots of cut-outs, as well) and concert tickets, and doing a lot better than most bands. These guys need to make a living, and they spent so much time and energy on rock and roll that they don't really have anything else to fall back on for the most part. I can't begrudge them trying to revitalize their careers.

20. I don't get it. If they are trying to find a member for INXS, why aren't they at least playing with INXS instead of a cover band doing a bunch of cover tunes that have little or nothing to do with the part they are trying out for?