1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ipod car adapters.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Guest043, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    from your experience, what type did you use and how was it? im thinking about getting the casette one because it plugs directly in, but since they go for $7 tops im wondering if theyre worth bothering with? i know i dont want the transmitter type, and im not so hott for spending $300 on a full on new radio system for a direct input from the ipod..

suggestions??

2. I have one of the Griffin transmitter types.

It's better than the Monster I previously had.

It still sorta sucks.

I've heard good things about the cassette units though- especially because they don't cut in and out depending on radio frequencies.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I bought some pile of garbage called the griffin itrip which goes through the radio by way of the cigarette lighter. IME it was extremely noisy. Luckily I've moved on in terms of car stereo, so it's not but a bad memory.

4. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I installed the Harman Kardon Drive+Play (version 1) in my previous car. I didn't care about removing it from the car when I sold it. It worked rather decently, but I hated the control unit, it was very clumsy to use, and the display fitted only 4 rows. The good thing was that you could connect it to either the radio antenna or to an aux in on your car stereo. The sound would definitely have been better using the aux in, but I didn't have that on my stereo.

So skip the first version, but the second might be worth checking out though: http://harmankardon.com/product_det...SE&Language=ENG&cat=CIA&prod=HK-DP2EU&sType=C
    I just think they're a bit expensive...

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If your car stereo has an interface for a CD changer and you aren't using it, there's a good chance there's an iPod adapter cable available for it.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just get a better stereo. I have an older Pioneer and an older iPod, and they work perfect together and sound amazing. It controls track access and everything.

7. The tape adapter is better than the radio transmitter. A new head unit with an aux in or better yet a USB plug is the best option. IMO spend the extra money and get a new head unit, it is the single biggest thing you can do to improve the sound quality in your car.

lowsound

8. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Check out a Sony CDX series replacement stereo. Very reasonably priced, approx. $100.00 depending on which model. CD-MP3 player and auxiliary input on the front. $10.00 cord from Radio Shack. Lots of other good aspects as well......EQ.

I tried the transmitter and wasn't satisified (live near a city) and used a cassette adapter for a while (wore through two)....

The cassette option is definitely the cheapest and works well.

9. Depends on where you live really. I use one of the radio transmitter adapters in my car, and it works great. No problems with it whatsoever. When I went on a road trip a couple of months ago down to San Diego, as soon as I started hitting populous areas it kept cutting out. I've been using the adapter for 3 years, and that was the only time its ever cut out on me.

So essentially if you live in an area with a lot of radio stations, you're better off getting the cassette adapter, or exploring a different option entirely.

10. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst

Jun 4, 2008
    I have a tape adapter and it works seamlessly with my car.

The problem with the things that run on frequencies is that they can easily pick up someones radio or get really bad and sceechy in certain parts of town.

11. I use one that is a radio transmitter and mounts in the cigarette lighter. It has a long arm and has a mounting on the end where the ipod sits so its up at eye level and easy to read and control. It works fine, even in a high populated area, but the signal seems low. I have to crank up the stereo to hear it well. Been using it for 3-4 years.

12. When I moved across the province a few months ago, I made sure to bring a cassette/MP3 adapter with me, but the U-Haul we rented didn't even have a cassette deck (fear of theft perhaps?). We couldn't survive the trip without decent tunes so we had to stop at a Future Shop in North Bay to by a radio transmitter. We also stopped at a mom and pop electronics store, but they had no idea what we were talking about and tried selling us a bunch of useless junk. I don't remember the cost of the radio transmitter but the signal seemed to be rather inconsistent.

13. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    well, i was at work yesturday, and low and behold i found a FM transmitter. i went to get a price on it, and it wasent in our system. nobody knew how it got there and what to do about it, so they let me just take it..

it must be a cheaper one (i assume) and it sounds pretty crappy-however still better than carrying a select few CDs at a time. it does charge the ipod while its on so thats aight, but i live in a pretty populated area not far at all from new york city..the interfearance can get pretty bad sometimes. changing the radio station that im running it on seems to make it sound pretty decent at times (then 4 blocks later i might want to change it again though..)

im gana try and find a casette adapter, and stop in a local car audio store and see if they have radios with an aux in..

14. The $7 cassette tape thingy works great. For that little cash, just try it and if for some reason you don't like it, you just lost the cost of a sandwich.

15. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I use a tape adapter and it works perfectly.

Stay away from the Griffin ITrip. It was noisy and not very strong, and then I dropped it once from my chest to concrete and it never worked again.

16. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    yeah, im gana go out and find a tape adapter sometime soon. the FM transmitter absolutely stinks..

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've had the monster and the belkin and got so frustrated with both of them that I just listen to CD's now.

I need a new stereo. Probably will buy one next month that will solve my problem.