1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is $550 too much?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pica, Nov 2, 2013.

1. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
  2. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    Yes.

3. Xenos

Xenos

Nov 2, 2013
    Judging by a quick Google Search, that's a steal. Cheapest I've seen is $600someodd, seen a couple going for more'n a grand. So.

I mean, I don't rightly know one way or the other, as I know nothing about Peavey guitars/basses, other'n they actually play pretty damn decent (bassist in one of my first bands has one).

Go for it if you feel like it, but I'd suggest doing a Google search of your own and see what the EXACT MODEL is going for, if you can.

4. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
  5. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Push for 450$ if he says he cant do it he will probably take 500, Which if its an american cirrus is a pretty good price point for that quality of a bass IMO.

If its an import hell no.

6. Looks like it's probably a BXP model. So $550 is WAY too much.

7. Xenos

Xenos

Nov 2, 2013
    Upon further research, and learning about this "BPX" thing, the highest I'm seeing them go for is $300.

That being the case, you'd be getting screwed if you payed $550.

Listen to the wiser members of the forums-they probably know more than me-I'm an idiot, for the most part! ;)

8. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks for all your responses. Glad to know I can always count on my fellow bass playing brethren for honest answers.

9. Not so fast. The rare Cirrus bolt on models also had individual string bridges.

10. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    Definitely TOO Much.

Individual string bridges immediately identify it as a "BXP" import model.

You are correct, but the one pictured in the CL ad is not a bolt on.

I'm familiar with the USA Bolt-On Cirrus as I have come close to buying one on a few occassions. Guitar Center Used recently had one which sat un-sold for weeks at $449.99

11. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    I reckon you could just call and ask the owner/poster of the CL advert, since he/she left a phone number. Ask if the letters 'BXP' are on the headstock, in small block letters. I will bet dollars-to-donuts that it is, in fact, a BXP. I just did a google image search and damned if the Google photos don't match this ad. Though I cannot speak to anyone's motivations, the seller may be trying to get a "collectors' premium" due to Victor Wooten's sig on the TRC. Then again, how do you prove that the autograph is authentic??

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Pica, I'm also from the Detroit area and while I'm not in the market for a Peavey bass, I did see that particular one and others too. I thought it was a wee bit overpriced, saw a couple of others that might interest you.

Cirrus BXP for $200
    http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/4157479534.html

there's a blue one that was $90 then recently bumped up to $130. I can't seem to find - just saw it earlier today. Will link it if I can find it again.

Basses in the Detroit area are usually lower than most places in the country as the economy here is pretty hard hit.

13. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    The seller does not seem to know about the (more than one) Peavey Cirrus models. When the seller leaves out specifics, or possibly hints that his (import) bass might be a higher end model (USA built), forget him, and the bass. It's way overpriced.

14. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks Maxdusty. Much appreciated. I also saw the one for $200 too. Could not tell from the picture if that was the same top wood as the $550 one. Did not see the blue one though.

15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Cant find the blue one. hmm..sold perhaps?
    Also, don't forget to check the Guitar Center website. Sometimes you can find a good deal on a used one. doesn't matter which Guitar Center store in the country you see it at, as they'll ship it to your house for about $25
    Found this one in South Carolina that seems to have the same finish as the one for $550. It's selling for $249.99. Add shipping and tax, it'll still be under $300
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i3327608.gc

16. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The US-made bolt ons didn't have "fancy". Wood tops. As others have pointed out, that is a BXP, and it's priced at double what it should be.

17. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    It amazes me the prices people ask for used instruments on CL. I'm sure some naive person will pay it too.