Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is a GeddyLee Jazz suitable for slapping?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rodoherty1, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Hi Guys,

I've been trying to read up on the Geddy Lee Fender Jazz and I see plenty of mention given to its slim neck. I play an Ibanez BTB405QM at the moment and I'd like to consider a move back to 4 strings.

I've recently taken the plunge into old-school slapping (thank you Ed Friedland) and I'd like to get a 4-string that's suitable for slapping.

Does the slim neck impose the need for a particularly tidy slap technique?

Rob.

2. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Well yone wise it should be great for slapping like most jazzes

3. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Yeah for slapping you can't go wrong with any Jazz bass. Maybe a Geddy Lee owner could give more technique advice.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have a GL Jazz and can say 'Yes, it is'.

The stock config will give you a decent sound, but a GL Jazz with Dimarzio UltraJazz pickups has a KILLER slap sound.

5. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Yeah, I've got a friend here who has one, and it's an awesome bass for slapping. I think Jazz basses in general are pretty good slapping basses.

6. Excellent ... Thanks for the info. Looks like I've found the right bass so.

Now all I need is the funds !!
    :meh:

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dont own one but i used to date one and it kinda liked getting slapped around when it got out of hand......... :p

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yes! It sounds great for slapping.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I slapped a Geddy Lee in shop and it had a great Jazz sound and that was in comparison to a Marcus Miller Jazz which was in the same shop at the time.

10. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i demand active electronics on any bass im gonna slap with : P

i just feel that without it, you really cant get that excesive contoured sound to slap with

my 2 cents.

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    try it with DM UJ pickups in it, you'll eat your words
    :p

12. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    are they active pups?.

another of my pet peves, actice pups! i hate batteries dying the middle of shows....must....have........active....bypassss

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, they're passive. more info at http://dimarzio.com

14. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    You slapped Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller at the same time? :eek:

Hope you have a good lawyer....

Oh wait, their basses? My bad. :rolleyes:

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own most Fender jazzes out there, I must say the geddy bass is an awesome thump and pop machine. It does'nt need active electronics, it sounds fine passive. I enjoy the sound of a passive jazz thumped. Active jazzes sound more high-fi and also have there place.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally, I love onboard preamps as well, but you know, you can get a scooped sound by adjusting the preamp on the Amplifier. :)

17. I'll post my review of mine. Once ot gets here. This also means I will need pictures of it. So I need to get a camera, and get some one hour developement to the max.

18. I put Villex jazz set in my Geddy Lee. With the middle pot you can get a scooped sound as well as the classic passive jazz tone. It really works great with that bass.

19. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs

mhm.....adjusting mid song aint no fun..

im thinkin about trying out the aguilar outboard pedal preamp just for kicks to see how it is, or wire up a bypass switch on some sort of rack mount ( if they dont already have one )

20. I have a geddy lee, and let me tell you, the slap tone is killer. just pick up one at the local music store and try it for yourself, you wont be dissapointed