1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is anybody boycotting BP?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sleepytime, May 3, 2010.

1. Yes.

10.5%
  2. I see no reason to stop patronizing them.

35.1%
  3. I never buy gas there anyway.

47.4%
  4. Huh?

7.0%
  1. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    A good portion of the Gulf coast is probably going to be ruined for the rest of our lives. I drove by a BP gas station today and it looked like business as usual. In my opinion, they need to clean up as best they can and then go away.

2. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    If we go around refusing to use a service of a product we don't like it makes a bad economy worse.

3. just because they were leasing the rig when the $%^&* hit the fan doesn't make the eco disaster entirely their fault. could things have been handled better yes, but i do not have any grudge with them. perhaps i am a bit removed from the golf though.

4. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Now there's an understatement. But it's not like the threat of pollution from offshore drilling is an issue or anything.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I haven`t been keeping up to date on all the recent news on it, but if it was anything like their last disasters then it is entirely their fault for being neglectful. :rollno:

6. it is but BP just became the whipping boy of that issue. the environmentalist were looking for an event so they could drive their point home and this is it. it needn't be BP as much as big oil that is being attacked. come next year and BP will be a footnote to the disaster.

7. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    I never buy gas there anyway. There's not one in my city, that I'm aware of.

8. jokn388

jokn388

Apr 11, 2007
    "If we go around refusing to use a service of a product we don't like it makes a bad economy worse."

What will make a bad economy worse is not holding businesses accountable for ruining countless small businesses and lives.

Show BP that this type of practice is not acceptable and in turn this will show other companies that this type of practice is unacceptable.

Plus it's not hurting the economy. Wee are now giving our money to one of the American gas giants.

9. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    no - that's not going to solve the problem.

10. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    No one currently knows why this happened and may never, but even personality trumps well engineered procedure when idiocy is concerned and no matter what, you just can't always prevent stupidity.

I see that Toyota's are still selling.

11. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not sure they will escape this unscathed. I find it incredible that they apparently they had no strategy for dealing with either a platform fire or a leaking well. I always supported offshore drilling, but I thought they knew what they were doing. I hate to say it, but maybe we need a moratorium on offshore drilling until they can show that they can deal with this type of situation.

12. they can, but this is one of those "the fail-safe failed" situations. how were they to know that the valve would be faulty and not cap itself under 5 miles of ocean. and believe me fire suppression is foremost on their minds in all operations of the oil industry.

13. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Just heard an interview with BP's CEO. All I heard was"HERP A DERP THERES A LOT OF OIL AND WE HAVE HAVENT GOT A GOSH DARNED CLUE HOW IT GO THERE ERP DURHHHHH"

Typical BP:scowl:

14. of course i do... because my dad works for a competitor...

but, as i believe ive mentioned in the past, you can buy bp gas at a non bp station. you dont necessarily know who pumped the oil when you fill up, and many operations are joint ventures. generic brand gas stations can have bp gas, and bp can have exxon gas.

so... good luck boycotting bp. its not impossible, but its not something that will be particularly effective i dont believe.

15. No. They're British and therefore I agree with everything they do. It would be unpatriotic for me to boycott them*

*I'm joking. I never buy petrol there anyway ;)

16. Mortiis

Mortiis Banned

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    I don't drive!

Therefore my smugness eclipses that of the whole thread! Hell yeah.

17. If only you were also vegan and a linux user, then your smugness would know no bounds!

18. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    The BP stations in my town raised their gas prices 15 cents a gallon within 12 hours of the incident. That's enough reason for me to boycott them.

They know they're gonna get fined up the wazoo for this, so they might as well start building their war chest on the backs of the consumer now, right? No way they'll take this hit on their own, it will come out of Joe Sixpack's pockets one way or another -- just like it did with the banks, mortgage companies, etc.

19. Mortiis

Mortiis Banned

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    Heard on the news just now that their stock has lost £20 millon in value as well.

20. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I just feel bad for the "little man" who is locked into the brand franchise, like my friend. Used to own a Getty staion. It's now a BP (as they appropriated Getty). They already fight with their distributor, as they are in a poor section of town charging almost 20 cents more per gallon, and this was ongoing well before this all went down....I can only imagine what this all will do for them, they're struggling as it is. The only thing really keeping them afloat is that my friend Tony is a damn good mechanic.

BP as a whole be damned for their ineptitude, but still...