Is anyone using Roland Key amp for UB ?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Polyanski, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I have in the past, long ago. As I remember it, it was not too bad, better than a lot of bass guitar amps.
  2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    This was a topic of conversation the other night. The Roland
    keyboard amps are very popular. Why aren't more bassists
    using them. I've "shared" one numerous times. Seems like
    it would work well for bass. But I never see anyone using
    Roland bass amps. que pasa?
  3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I borrowed a KC-300 (100 watts, 12" + horn) from a keyboardist friend a couple months ago. I was thinking of buying it as an around-the-house/small gig amp for both DB and BG.

At low volumes it sounds good--full sound from top to bottom. It has 4 input channels and a master 2-band EQ. Bass guitar sounded fine either plugged straight in or through a SansAmp Bass Driver/DI. I ran my Messenger DLX EUB and New Standard Cleveland with Bass Max and Schertler Stat-B pickups through it. I found that if I didn't roll off the lows considerably (with either the onboard tone control or Fishman Platinium Bass EQ's low-cut filter) the speaker would crap out pretty quickly, and you could hear air chuffing out of the small port. That said, it performed respectably at a coffeehouse jazz trio gig.

I was more impressed with it as an all-purpose at-home rig, with its headphone jack, mixer, and impressive in/out section. It would also be good for a teacher--you could hook up a couple of basses and a CD player or drum machine, or you could use it as a mini-PA for cafe gigs. It was worth it for $200 used but I didn't really need it.

IMO the larger version (KC-500) with 15" speaker sounds horrendous--boomy lows, unnatural mids, plus it's pretty big and heavy.
  4. Polyanski

Mar 16, 2004
    West Michigan
    Thanks Winston and Guys.
    It really helped .
    I used KC500 with bass guitar long time ago,and Yes,I remember(thanks Winston) it was weak on a low freq's.
    Well, I guess will keep looking....
    (Actually, I really thinking of Workingsman 2:10)
  5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    If you're interested in using a keyboard amp I'd recommend the Barbetta line. My keyboardist friend who lent me the Roland just got a Barbetta, it's quite loud and full sounding. Haven't had a chance to try it with bass yet myself.