1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it "cooler" to play a 4 string bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phillipkregg, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    No, no, now wait a minute. You don't seem to understand. You see, a six-string "guitar" is simply an EADGCF six-string bass tuned an octave higher with a wonky detune on the top two strings a half step to be "cool." It is really just a six-string piccolo bass... :thumbsup:

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  2. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    Maybe a little OT, but I just wanted to thank you for posting this. I'm not familiar with him or his work, but that song was awesome. I will have to check out more of his stuff. And he's killing it on that 6 too!

Bassheart365 likes this.
  3. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Definitely awesome stuff, and quite unique, yet somehow comfortable at the same time. As a big fan of 70s soul, I hear a bit of that in his music, with a completely new take, of course.

4. Dave Neal

Dave Neal

Aug 22, 2015
    I play a variety of basses 4 /5 strings vintage and new, short scales to long.. not because its cool but because I am a bass player. Playing the bass and laying down the low end is cool, being a poseur is not.

Dalmasn likes this.
  5. Jhoof

Jhoof

Apr 20, 2016
    Princeton, NJ
    No problem. He’s a bit hit or miss in my opinion, but he’s got some good tracks. He’s also definitely quirky, cool, and ridiculously talented.

6. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I have many pedals, and no basses that use batteries.

None of my pedals use batteries, either.

I play only 4 strings, and three of my basses have a low B.

Ironic, considering that the upright bass is descended from the viol family of instruments, which all originally had frets.

I really don't like how the 4+1 tuner arrangement looks.

A piccolo bass is just a long scale guitar.

7. 77stingray5

77stingray5

Jun 19, 2007
    I

8. Michael ONeill

Michael ONeill

Feb 11, 2018
    Thanks a lot folks ! I had plans to get some poopie done this afternoon ! Got side tracked listening to stuff on u tube . Its all your fault ! Bass is cool !

fffreddy and Arnel M. like this.
  9. cbdriver

cbdriver

Mar 26, 2012
    W. Paducah, KY
    Well said

Brad Johnson likes this.
  10. cbdriver

cbdriver

Mar 26, 2012
    W. Paducah, KY
    This video also covers reasons why you should

EddiePlaysBass and Brad Johnson like this.
  11. 77stingray5

77stingray5

Jun 19, 2007
    I have been playing bass for a long time, long enough to have seen fads come and go. This same trend to 5+ string basses happened in the late 90’s. One HAD to have a 5-stringed bass or one was a totally loser. Then, the pendulum swung totally in the other direction, and if you showed up to a gig with a 5-string bass, you were pretentious. Play the kind of bass lines you want, the way you want. If you can do that with 2 strings, fine. If you need 6, fine. There is no need to follow the herd if you have confidence in yourself

taosword, Giffro, Arnel M. and 2 others like this.
  12. cbdriver

cbdriver

Mar 26, 2012
    W. Paducah, KY
    If you’re like me, a 4 feels strange after living with a B string for a long time. I’ve sold all my 4’s.

dpaul likes this.
  13. cbdriver

cbdriver

Mar 26, 2012
    W. Paducah, KY

14. cbdriver

cbdriver

Mar 26, 2012
    W. Paducah, KY
    I’ve enjoyed those too!!!

15. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    A valid point, but personally, the reason I tend to not use the notes on the B string in the higher positions is that I simply do not like the sound of that heavy gauge string above the 5th fret, even on a 35 inch scale bass. That's why I tend to only use 5-string basses if I need the lower notes. Sure, I can hang in the fifth position and be comfortable with being able to pretty much stay in that position on a five string (or even better, 6-string), but again, I just dislike the timbre/response of that B-string except way down in the lower register.

lowdownthump and Korladis like this.
  16. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    Is anyone else amazed this thread has gone so long?

I may not be surprised

but really?

this topic?

I might be naive

cooler?

wgafs?

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  17. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

On my BEAD tuned 4s, I use the low B up to the 8th fret sometimes, but not usually beyond that. I tend to be the same with the low E on my EADG tuned basses. Just don't really like how it sounds on notes much past that.

18. cbdriver

cbdriver

Mar 26, 2012
    W. Paducah, KY
    Last year, I joined a band who were coming together for some reunion gigs. They had played in the late 70’s-early 80’s. I showed up for the 1st rehearsal w/ one of my 5’s. The first thing I asked was, “Is it cool with you guys if I’m playing a period-incorrect bass?” They all laughed & told me to rock out on what ever I wanted!

Arnel M., dbsfgyd1 and Brad Johnson like this.
  19. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Ouch, that looks like it would kill my arthritis.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Really? On my basses the notes on my B strings sound fatter than the same note, same octave on other strings. I play a lot around the middle of my neck... fatter and easier once you learn how to control the B string.