1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it okay to unplug 1 Ampeg 810e Speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joey Perron, Dec 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Joey Perron

Joey Perron

Aug 25, 2018
    I recently got my second Darkglass m900 head and just like the last one and every single one I know someone has it just can’t really do 2 ohms very well. I normally live run 2 Ampeg 810s and when I run 1 at 4 ohms I have no problems but the moment I run two at 2 ohms I have to lower my volume or the head cuts out and just fails. I’ve learned this is a common problem with the m900 and till I can get rid of it and get something different I’m in need of a way to run these two cabs. Can I unplug a speaker or two from each lowering the ohms to maybe somewhere the head can handle? 7 speakers in each cab I know will make for a weird ohm but since it’s class D I think it should be fine. Any help is appreciated. I just want to figure out a way to be able to turn up and have my normal volume and sound. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Take care.

2. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    I'm not a techy person but apparently the amp is not designed to handle 2ohms very well especially with 2 Ampeg 810e cabinets rated at 800 watts @ 4ohms each.
    Honestly I would just run 1 810e cabinet @ 4 ohms with that head and you maybe should contact Darkglass tech support and ask them about the 2 ohm situation with the 2 cabinets your using, and as far as disconnecting speakers to come up with some miracle ohms to make your amp work efficently, I wouldn't, you'll end up mucking something up.

Jim Carr, Aqualung60 and Joey Perron like this.
  3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Heatsink in the amp isn't large enough.

I'm not sure if the head constantly runs the fan in 2 ohm mode. Or controls the speed depending on temp.

If the fan was constantly on, and at high speed it could increase the likelihood of it surviving at 2 ohms.

Likewise even if you did get it to not shut down with the fan blasting. Bet you 20 bucks the power supply is just as poorly heatsinked and will die too eventually from 2 ohms drawing so much current.

Few possibilities

Run another external box fan to try and push more air over the amp.

If any panels on the case can be removed in hopes of getting more airflow through the amp.

The 810e cabinets usually have seperate compartments per 2 speakers, so disconnecting the lower pair would yield a slightly higher impedance around 5 ohms nominal.

Instead of running both cabs in parallel, make or purchase a custom series cable which would operate the 2 cabinets as a 8ohm load in series.

With the overall efficiency of 2 cabinets I doubt the lower power level will be a issue. It's more current draw and heat is the issue at 2 ohms

Likewise I've been running 810e for years, and often use a pair for shows.

I absolutely will not touch a class D amp or anything with a switch mode pooper supply.

Old school led Sleds and transformers only for me when pushing a stage stacked with cabs.

pht2356, G-Z, Joey Perron and 2 others like this.
  4. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    If you need two 810’s to hear your self, you might be deaf.

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    2 810e's.
    When "really really loud" just isn't enough...
    :D

6. Can I unplug a speaker or two from each lowering the ohms to maybe somewhere the head can handle?

NO YOU CAN NOT!

You will end up damaging the drivers in both cabinets if you do this.

7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Another option....Instead of disconnecting a pair of drivers in each cab, run dual mono on one cab (all 8 drivers) and run just half of the second cab. This will provide a 2.67 ohm load and evenly distribute the power to all 12 drivers.

upload_2016-9-29_12-9-58-.

pht2356 and Joey Perron like this.
  8. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    get yourself a series parallel box. you can run 2 810s ar 8 ohms

leonard, pht2356, Joey Perron and 2 others like this.
  9. Get an SVT head.

10. Joey Perron

Joey Perron

Aug 25, 2018
    Thanks for the reply I appreciate the help!

11. Joey Perron

Joey Perron

Aug 25, 2018
    Thank you. That info was extremely helpful. I own an old peavey mark 4 bass head that doesn’t skip a beat at 2 ohms. I really appreacite your help.

12. Joey Perron

Joey Perron

Aug 25, 2018
    Deaf is def half of it hah

13. Joey Perron

Joey Perron

Aug 25, 2018
    Good thing I asked here before opening up the cabs hah

BassmanPaul and LBS-bass like this.
  14. Joey Perron

Joey Perron

Aug 25, 2018
    I will 100% try this. Thank you for this idea! I didn’t even think of that. Most of the time the other cab is for the guitarist to hear or for when I go on that side of the stage.

15. Joey Perron

Joey Perron

Aug 25, 2018
    YES! Didn’t know this was a thing but I just looked it up and that’s PERFECT. Thank you thank you thank you

bassboysam likes this.
  16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Probably a stupid question, but are you engaging the 2 ohm switch on the back of the amp?

Also, note post #3 from this thread: Darkglass Microtubes 900 2 ohm problem HELP

Joey Perron and agedhorse like this.
  17. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    :woot::roflmao:

Joey Perron likes this.
  18. Joey Perron

Joey Perron

Aug 25, 2018
    Yeah some shows I’ll run one cab so I always engage the button on the back whenever I bring the second cab on stage. So that post was actually me when I got my first Darkglass head and they sent me a new one saying it wouldn’t have the same issue. But a few weeks in and it’s doing it again and I’m seeing other bassist who run two 810s using 2 of the darkglass heads so that’s giving me the idea that the head can’t really power at 2 ohms very well.

Wasnex likes this.
  19. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Interesting one would purchase a product that has a known defect by most owners, yet the manufacturer still produces said product with said defect, and people keep buying them. What a strange sequence of events.

Savage_Dreams and Andre678 like this.
  20. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I was also going to suggest plugging into the top 410 of the second cab. See if that helps.
    Not familiar with a series/parallel box.

FWIW, the new MESA WD800 and D800/+ are good for 2 ohms. I'd think they are more stable than the Darkglass.

Joey Perron likes this.