1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is It Really Too Much to Ask?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Dear Fender,

I would like a Precision Bass with a Jazz Neck to be a Standard offering

Is that really too much to ask?

Signed,

Frustrated Bass Player...

fz0tpm00pgevk2vxospa.

P.S.

And if I had my way it would be a 3 color burst "P" Bass - with a Jazz Neck!! (No Pesky Jazz Pup Along For The Ride)

Like the bass pictured above...but with a "Jazz" width nut (Bound and Blocked would be nice too but I'm not super picky...just a Jazz width nut would suffice)

Seriously Every Fender I own has been modified by me because they don't make what I want "off the shelf"....I have never been able to buy an "off the shelf" Fender that I didn't have to modify in some way

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  2. Just do it yourself. The beauty of "bolt" on necks! People have been slapping Jazz necks on P basses for 40+ years.

3. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Warmoth - and you can select the exact body weight / finish.

4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I had one back in the '80's, my Frankenbass. Did lots of gigs with it. Was black with a white p/g.

5. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    What bass(es) do you currently have?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. That's the point....I have been doing it myself for 35 years....I wanna be able to walk into a damn shop and Buy what i want off the shelf...there is obviously a demand...so why don't they do it?

I currently have a Dee Dee Ramone "P" Bass Body, With a Geddy Neck, and a Geezer Butler pick-up....I call it "Fan-Boy"

I would like a traditional "Burst" set up much the same...basically a Duck Dunn that isn't Red (Cause I really Dislike Red)

7. If Fender don't sell something that caters to your needs, either customise one so it does, or buy something else. Your frustration seems pretty easily remedied to me :)

8. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    80s Peavey Fury.....the neck is even thinner than a Jazz.....just sayin'

9. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    ND
    I made one with this CIJ Aerodyne Precison neck that has a 1.5” nut width.

E99BF923-1368-4065-98E5-517D586E09A5.

10. The Postmodern Journeyman P from the Custom Shop will fit the bill. But then you'd be complaining about the price instead ;) And rightly so.

11. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    Sorry I missed the point about buyig it off the floor. That is indeed a strange thing, with the apparent demand (as the countless neck swappers, myself included, prove).

Kubicki Fan likes this.
  12. Lol...again that is exactly the point...I want a Fender P bass...with a jazz neck...and I'm tired of having to buy the parts to assemble them myself...

Aladinsane1969 and mrcbass like this.
  13. What can I tell you, you can't always get what you want. Surely similar situations have cropped up in non-bass related things in your life.

14. Lol...Mick?

15. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Exactly - clearly, a 1st world problem, lol...

16. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I am put off by basses that everyone could own. I shop around for discontinued models or piece them together myself. Plus, I tend to take better care of gear when I've had a hand in how it's put together.

17. guys your all missing the point here...obviously I'm going to have to buy the parts I want and piece this thing together...however the entire point is that people have been putting Jazz necks on "P" basses since the inception of the jazz bass...so why Doesn't Fender offer one? (that doesn't also have a damn J pick-up installed)?

18. been doing this for 35 years probably won't ever stop...but it would be nice for ONCE...to be able to walk into a store and go oh wow...exactly what I was looking for...

Spidey2112 and Bodeanly like this.
  19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    You say 'every Fender I own(...)', suggesting you have done a few.
    I'd stop wasting money , time and effort and commission a bass to your specs from e builder you trust.

Caca de Kick and JeffC23 like this.