1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is my bow worth $4000??

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Edvin, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    I have an Emile Duprée made in France (see pictures) that i bought for around $450 in the fall of 2010. The person i bought it from had a luthier made price valuation of $3000 so i started to look around for other "real" Emile Duprées made in france and i found a French grip Emile at kolstein webshop that Barrie said goes for $4500

http://kolstein.com/mm5/merchant.mv...KMI&Product_Code=bb0112&Category_Code=bassbow

Here is my bow:

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1092/imagezgf.jpg
    http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6853/imagexqq.jpg

My bow has some damages on the frog and at the ivory tip, though.
    What do you guys think?

2. ahsbass6

ahsbass6

Apr 13, 2004
    if you can travel to Kolsein's that would help or another well known bass shop.There is damage to the frog.. it is worth getting checked out,,, though I would love for you to have a great bow...it is hard to tell by your pictures, the pro's will make that determination

3. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    Yeah, Kolstein is 60.000 miles away so that's a little far ;)
    I will take it to my local luthier, but when i talked to him last time he didn't know anything about Emile Duprée though estimated it to a minimum of $1200.
    Actually i'm kind of into selling it, 'cause i played a Metropolitan i totally fell in love with to be honest!

4. Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson Supporting Member

No, your bow probably isn't worth $4000. Maybe closer to $750 (if it is not too badly damaged) or more if it plays very well. There's a reason you paid $450 for it.

I have a Dupree cello bow I got for cheap and did research on it when I got it. As far as I know, they are factory bows (probably German made) sold by Metropolitan music.

5. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    But it already had a valuation for $3000 when i bought it!
    The copies were made in germany yes, but the "real ones", wasn't them made in France?

6. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I had a Dupree bow that I paid $500 for around 1998... Nice bow, played and sounded good.. I sold it for $500.

7. Rob Thompson

Just because somebody says it's worth $3000 doesn't mean anybody would pay that much for it. Where did you get information that there is a "real" Emile Dupree, or that your bow is was made by this person?

8. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    No of course not, but i'm very curious about it.
    Several things made me think this way, cause it's been valuated as a real dupree ten years ago. Barrie Kolstein also said that if it has the "France" logo behind the frog it should be real.

9. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I would pay for a professional appraisal, if I really wanted to know. Asking folks on a forum like this, with a couple of low-res photos can only go so far...

If it is, indeed, a $4K stick, I would want to have it insured.

I agree with a prior post, though; just because a bow is allegedly "worth" $4K (or $750) doesn't mean one will find a buyer (at either price).

10. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
  11. Rob Thompson

12. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    From the limited photos, that bow is a mess. Major damage to the frog and stick, is it straight? Most that I see go between $600 and $750, they have been sold on talkbass before. You can tell by looking at it that is a mass production german made frog. For a $600 (pristine) bow in that condition you'll be lucky to get back what you paid, especially in this economy. The seller claimed he had it appraised at 4k, if he did he would certainly have it in writing wouldn't he? Nobody I know who owns a $4000 bow doesn't bother to get a written insurance appraisal. Do you have it in writing? Sorry to be so pessimistic but that bow has german production written all over it and it is NOT in great shape. GLWTS :/

13. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    I have it written!

14. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    From who? A bow expert?

15. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    A luthier who sold it to the man i bought it from. I've contacted him to confirm that it's true and he confirmed.
    He thought it was worth exactly $3616 (25.000 swedish crowns). This guy has a pretty lousy reputation about pricings though, so i ain't sure about it.

16. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    I wouldn't go around saying your bow is worth that kind of money unless it has been looked at by a reputable bass shop that specializes in bows (ex. Kolstein, gage, upton, cincy bass cellar, robertson, etc.). BTW, upton had one of these, exactly the same but french and in much much better condition for less then $1000.

17. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    I have absolutely not. Would you say i had?
    I started this thread to get more info whether it was worth what i payed or if it's worth much more.
    If i "knew" it was worth $4000, i wouldn't start this thread wouldn't i?

18. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Out of curiousity I did a search in French and found absolutely nothing. The only hits I get for bows by Emile Duprée are in the US. Not counting the apparently famous wrestler, who doesn't look like he also makes bows as a sideline.

19. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    Yeah, i have done several searches and haven't found anything.

20. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Also, i do not think any high quality bow that is made by a reputable french craftsman will have "made in france" stamped on it and would mainly be sold in the US.