1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is my cab speaker about to blow?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by April Ethereal, Sep 24, 2010.

1. April Ethereal

April Ethereal

Jul 23, 2010
    ok, I come to you experienced ones seeking your wisdom and knowledge for I am ignorant of a solution to the problem I face. I have never owned a head and cab setup until just recently. I am using a Gallien Krueger 4x10 blx cab with the gk 600 head. I love the thing so much but Ive encountered a problem. The lower right speaker has an unwanted vibrating shake noise that comes from it. Its fully functional but it concerns me? If I lightly put my finger on the outer most ring of the speaker while hiting an open E it stops :/ ? I have a 30 day money back guarantee and wanted to know if this is serious or is something totally simple that can be fixed.

Thanks so much! Jacob

2. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    Take the cab back while you can. For a 4x10 with a gk cab take a serious look at the ampeq svt 4x10 cab, used one with my 700rbll when I had it and it was awesome.

3. April Ethereal

April Ethereal

Jul 23, 2010
    I see what youre saying but with the return of my gk bass cab I still would be short of an ampeg pricewise [im broke from buyingthis rig] I really like ampeg and GK so I would like to keep this honestly. It sounds really good for lower quality gk gear. Thank you for the suggestion though! =)

4. Dude, stick a screwdriver through the grill and tighten the screws for that speaker. Done.

5. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    I understand. Try what Jelwood said and check the screws if that dooesnt take care of it, at least take it back and try another one. Realized my earlier post might have sounded snooty, didn't mean to knock on your equipment at all. Hope its an easy fix for you.

6. April Ethereal

April Ethereal

Jul 23, 2010
    Oh no man its fine, I understand that an SVT4x10 would be a better quality cab, I know you werent talking down on my rig. :] But unfortunately I just tried Jelwoods suggestion and its the same? :/

7. April Ethereal

April Ethereal

Jul 23, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion but that wasnt the problem :/

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Seems like the speaker is blown. Maybe the others are on their way out as well. I suggest returning it or seeing if they'll replace all the speakers.

9. April Ethereal

April Ethereal

Jul 23, 2010
    I see what youre saying but its such a small interference...thats why I dont think its a full blown out speaker...Maybe its about to? I have a little under a month of coverage but I dont live close to a guitar center at all :/ [ Purchased used online from GC ]

10. April Ethereal

April Ethereal

Jul 23, 2010
    Im really concerned now about the cab, but I guess guitar center could repair it right?

11. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    I don't think that there is such thing as "speaker about to blow". It is either blown or not blown. Also, is the head 600W? I don't know that much about heads and cabinets, but 600W sounds like a lot for a 4x10 cabinet to handle alone.

12. April Ethereal

April Ethereal

Jul 23, 2010
    nope, its a GK bl 600 which is 300wts my cab is 400wts at 8ohms and this head is basically made to be paired with the exact cab I have.

13. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    I see. It sounds like it was a production problem. Is it still in the guarantee period? Or maybe it was abused. Have you played "at ten"? With boosted bass and all?

14. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    I've just read again. I would definitely do the money back thing, and buy a new one.

15. April Ethereal

April Ethereal

Jul 23, 2010
    I would like to replace it, but the guitar center closest to me is probably 2 hours away -_- lol Plus I would have to be very lucky to come across another used cab of the same type and price in that particular store... I dont know, its just kinda a let down being that Ive been so excited for this and one day after the head arrives I find a problem. Well I guess thats a chance you take when buying used.

16. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    Yeah, I know how it feels. But chances are that it really is blown, especially due to the fact that is is used. As hard as it is, I think that the good thing to do is to get your money back and save for some more months until you can buy a good cabinet. Or buy a cheaper one, which is the desperate choice, and the one you don't want to take.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021