1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is REDDI still the industry standard?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bass'd on a true story, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    Hey everyone,

I need a new DI box. I'm leaning towards the REDDI, 'cause it seems like this is what most people are using lately. I've used it in the past in studios and I've liked the sound of it. Any naysayers? Are there better options out there?

I'm definitely open to opinions.

Thank you!

svtb15 likes this.
  2. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Studio or stage primarily?

3. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    I will certainly try it out with my live rig and see if I like what it adds, but the primary goal is for home studio use.

4. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Well, they're great at what they do. It really depends on whether or not you want that "baked in" sound.

5. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    I'm mostly just going for either a vintage or just a basic "pop" bass sound. Nothing super bright or abrasive. I'm not playing metal or anything like that. It seems to mostly fit the bill. It's pretty expensive though, and I want to make sure that it's the right choice.

6. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I've never used the Broughton tube D.I. but a lot of people on TB seem to put it up there with to the REDDI so you might want to consider that.

7. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    I just went to their website and sent a message asking if they still make it. It's no longer listed in their available products :(.

bass12 likes this.
  8. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I have two REDDI's. One is on my touring / gigging PedalBoard. The other one i leave in my home studio.. Every engineer RAVES about them..

tbassist and TonyP- like this.
  9. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    I have the REDDI and really love it however I'm also considering the RNDI. It has performed very well in DI shootouts with the REDDI and others. It is worth looking into imo.

10. Love the RNDI but never had the opportunity to try the Reddi.

svtb15 likes this.
  11. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I love my REDDI! It adds great tone and character to any signal you put through it. When my band recorded our EP, I brought it to the studio. I recorded two tracks per song, one through the REDDI stright to the board and I came out of the through jack into a Sansamp VT Bass preamp to get a grittier tone. The engineer LOVED the tone from the REDDI! He actually used it with the guitarist when he recorded his tracks. It's a great box but it has its drawbacks.
    1. It's heavy
    2. It takes up a LOT of real estate on stage
    Check the link in my sig if you want to hear samples from the EP.

10406520_1286704721344806_1932866154311158825_n.

I plan to keep mine for recording, but for other applications when I need to DI out, I use my Rupert Neve RNDI. It's small, runs off 48V phantom power from the console (frees up a power plug for something else) and has a great tone as well. The proprietary Neve FET amps and transformers produce a great tone from all my basses. It may be something you'd like to consider as well.

Neve RNDI.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Fingertone, Iofflight, Mili and 4 others like this.
  12. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    I never go to the studio without it...Pierod.
    ;)

13. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Manley makes a pre-amp/DI that sounds fantastic imo. Used it as @mark beem used the reddi in the post above (Manley to the board and a bddi)...warm, thick, clear.

14. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I saw that RNDI the other day, and it looks pretty cool.

Cant go wrong with REDI if you want a killer DI with a little flavor. Lots of other options out there too. Especially if you get into the Pre-amp DI thing like Monique or Noble.
    If you want a straight DI with a tube, you might check out the Summit Audio TD-100. I see 'em used for pretty good prices.

15. I've always been pretty happy with the RNDI. I've also been happy with just running direct into most any modern interface and then tweaking on the DAW though.

16. mattj1stc

mattj1stc Gold Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX USA
    I had a REDDI and they are great. Everyone will love your sound - zero complaints. The only issues you really have are its size and weight (it's big and heavy), its price (expensive), and it's lack of adjustability (just volume). It does what it does really well though in terms of delivering a vintage but relatively clean tone.

If you'd like to have a DI that can do some level of low gain preamp tone shaping (also big and expensive), consider the Jule Monique. I had that one too - also great.

17. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

why would anyone want a DI with a 'baked in' sound? IME: the best DI's are "transparent" or close to it. YMMV.

18. TheBear

TheBear Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have both a REDDI and a Noble. They both have gotten great results and praise from soundman and producers, it really just depends on what sort of sound you want. I’ve found that I can make my Noble sound *like* the REDDI (not exactly like it but rather a close approximation), however the REDDI will never do anything but what it does.

Between the two I honestly prefer the Noble as I like that it doesn’t “take over my sound, but adds just enough of something extra” to my tone (not to mention it’s smaller, can power pedals and the shop owner Jack is awesome to work with). It really boils down to if you are happy with the REDDI’s “baked-in” sound...because it’ll never do anything else.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  19. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    The REDDI is designed with a different goal in mind - basically, getting the sound of a mic'd Ampeg B-15 in a DI. It does this vibe remarkably well and its much cheaper/easier than owning & mic'ing up a real B-15.

In general yeah, it's probably more flexible to sculpt a tone from an unaltered basic tone, but if you want a B-15 tone in one box, this is what you want

20. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Beat me to it! :thumbsup: