1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Ska Dead?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by robbotbass, Dec 7, 2011.

1. If it is Dead should it stay that way? I hope not! the entire reason I'm a bassist is because of Ska! Love that island sounding melodic bass lines that alot of ska band have!

Anyone have a ska bassist or song obscure or popular to share? I'm looking to listen to some good ska from a bassist point of view!

2. Take an 33 1/3 vinyl LP of Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy and play D'yer Mak'er at 45 RPM.

Undiscovered Ska.

I hope Ska isn't dead. It's probably the wife's favorite genre.

3. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    It will outlast many of those "flavors of the year" IF played well and appropriately... ;)

4. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    Like this?

MONGOL800

I'm still confused what Ska really is. Some of the stuff that is supposedly "ska" sounds more hip-hop-ish to me.....

5. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
  6. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
  7. I like I like!

8. Yes, ska is dead. I thought I saw you at the funeral...

9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Check out the now defunct great Canadian ska band King Apparatus. They had a couple of albums in the early 90's with great basslines. I still listen to them today.

Singer Chris Murray is still playing roots reggae and ska in and around L.A. .

10. if it matters, i saw reel big fish and streetlight manifesto a few nights ago. both played incredibly (as they do). 1/3 of the crowd left after streetlight. maybe the days of happy go lucky goofy ska music ala less than jake, reel big fish, etc are over. but bands like Big D, streetlight, illscarlett.. they seem to be doing pretty okay.

11. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Just got back from my second show of the current RBF/Streetlight tour. Two of my all time favorite bands, right up there with Zeppelin and Deep Purple.

No one left after Streetlight.

Oh, and they played only Goldfinger through the intermission, and most people were singing along to that as well.

12. we also had the goldfinger-only intermission. the madness stopped after streetlight. feel like it was nothing but the 30 year olds that grew up on RBF left. and me.

13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Yours truly playing meat & potato ska from way back in the olden days. Not quite sure how it became the backing track to anime, but whatever.

Bossy-Negima - YouTube

14. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Think it's cause the new sax player is ex-Goldfinger :D

I am in Milwaukee, drove to Toronto for my birthday this summer just to see them there. That was my first experience with the new sax player, and for that show the Rabbit was also out on sick, and it was the first time I was disappointed with them (I've seen RBF seven times, Streetlight four - Streetlight was insane as always.) But the Rabbit is back and the sax player (forget his name lol) is sounding much, much tighter with the band. Was very happy to hear that! I was worried that the loss of Scotty would turn me off the band.

But yeah, here in Milwaukee we have just as much love for the fish...ok well maybe a little tiny bit less but come on STREETLIGHT MANIFESTO. I'd still pay the full ticket price for any one of them, though.

15. No one spoke to you about this yet?

I'm sorry...we did all we could. :(

:D

16. I would say no. Five Iron Frenzy has just gotten back together and it supposed to have a new album coming out.

lowsound

17. this thread warms the inside of my cold, dead soul. I used to be in a ska band - but then said band broke up because nobody really went out to shows at all, and we all went separate ways after high school, so it was getting harder to practice regularly.

I'll have to say I really dig band like The Specials, Reel Big Fish, Voodoo Glow Skulls, the selecter, King Horrow, and of course a lot more of the 3rd wave ska bands.

Wiz Khalifa-Black and Yellow(SkaVersion) - YouTube

a buddy of mine showed me this video recently, I think it's relevant right now.

edit: I've learned about a few kickass groups through this thread too! Keep 'em coming!

18. I saw the last FIF show in Colorado (well not the last if your post is true) Epic show!

19. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    It may not be dead, but I think it might be taking a very long siesta.
    I LOVE Ska. Some are reinventing it ala hip-hop, pop, etc. Not my favorite, but it's influence is definitely there.
    Hopefully this fun energetic scene will come back strong.
    So fun to play and so fun to dance to!