1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there a Kinal Bass Club?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uncorked, May 22, 2012.

1. Uncorked

Uncorked Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Colorado
    KinalMKTalkbass-1.jpg
    KinalMKTalkbass-3.jpg

Here's a new one from Mike's workshop.

I wanted something that was mine in the sense of specing everything out so I took a trip up to Vancouver and talked with Mike about my other Kinal and what I'd want in a new one. I asked if he had Amboyna Burl and he had a piece that was stunning. 3 months later, here it is!

34"
    24 fret Rosewood
    Maple Neck
    Alder Body
    Amboyna Top (burl of a Paduak tree0

Barts with 3 way coil taps
    3 freq Mid select switch
    all affects off switch
    Push/Pull active passive volume
    pup blend
    boost/cut b/t/m

2. Gorgeous bass. Enjoy it!

3. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    A looker, she is.

How would you describe the tone?

I've never seen that casing for Barts before.

4. Uncorked

Feb 16, 2012
    Colorado
    I've only had her a couple of days so haven't gotten to know her yet. So far, through a Mark Bass, warm clear tones, modern but not over the top. The B is tight! Biased toward the bridge she's got the fusion tones I love, then on the neck a clean, clear and punchy sound. Grand Piano almost, although not quite a much as my Kinal SK. Strung with DR Hi-Beams. I prefer clear mid's over muddy bottoms and she's definitely got that covered.

5. Uncorked

Feb 16, 2012
    Colorado
    Since I'm new to TB I'm curious how these clubs get started. I like to see the Kinal's around.

6. I say let's start one! I'm in!

7. Granny1089

Granny1089

Oct 15, 2012
    Saskatoon, SK
    I've got a Kinal for sale if anyone is lookin...

Great basses! I live in Vancouver, home of the legendary Mike Kinal. The guy who sold it to me was apparently an old friend of Mikes and a collector of his basses. He said he used to have a whole bunch but had to sell for financial reasons.

Beautifully detailed instruments. It would be a fine club to be a part of.

songwriter21 likes this.
  8. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Needs moar Kinal.

DaveAceofBass likes this.
  9. Hey @DaveAceofBass, how about pics of your bass/es. That one right there at the top is one stunning beauty.

10. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Beaver County, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Good Lord is that pretty. Are those 4-coil pickups?

11. IMG_5651.JPG IMG_5652.JPG
    Just saw this...

12. Wow man beautiful basses and I love the thumb rests. I have them on several of my basses too. These basses don't get too much AirPlay on here too bad really they look great. I'd love to play one sometime but I've never seen one in person. What preamps are you using in these?

13. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Mike usually uses bartolini stuff.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  14. Barrolini....hmmmm another new name! Hahahaha

15. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I love my phone I really do.

16. I'm more and more blown away by how relatively unknown Kinal's work is with every new one I play. I have yet to run across an example that did not sound wonderful and play perfectly on top of displaying an exceptionally high level of craftsmanship. Demoed a beautiful blue 5-string at Atlanta Bass Gallery Saturday for its new owner. Unquestionably ridiculously good instrument, maybe the best in the shop, which is saying something! Good thing (for my own financial security!) the cat that bought it got there before I did.