Is there a small pedal that cuts out a specific low frequency? Like a thumpinator with variable freq

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nic., Nov 6, 2015.

1. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    Hey guys, just something I'm thinking about. Is there a good pedal that does the following:

1) Can be either a high-pass filter or a notch filter
    2) Variable frequency from 0Hz to maybe 100Hz or so
    3) Comes in a small enclosure. Like fishfinger or 1590a kind of size.
    4) Good tone, no compression, doesn't add background noise, etc.

So what I'm having in mind is something like the micro thumpinator, but with a variable frequency.

I'm also not sure whether a notch filter like that would be useful. My idea was that if you have a really small pedal with a variable frequency notch filter, you can scan the frequencies, find the bass drum frequency, and cut that out of your bass signal so the bass drum comes through really clearly. And if the bass is really low, then you just use a high-pass to get rid of your transient noise, but if the bass drum is tuned higher, then you just cut out that notch from your signal.

Do you guys know anything like this? And is it even useful?

p.s. - I do have something I can use for this purpose, my Zoom MS60B. There's a parametric EQ on it that I can sweep to find the bass drum frequency. But it's large, and I keep having the feeling it's affecting my signal's compression (or maybe it's just my imagination, but it feels like everytime I have it in the chain, even with no effects running, I can't seem to get the punch I want...). On the other hand, it can also run a noise gate, so that's useful.

2. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    Wow that sounds awesome. Especially this:
    Would love a fixed shelf and movable notch though.

3. FDeck was kind enough to make the schematic public, so all you need is the talent, or find someone with the talent, to add the fixed shelf and movable notch features to the circuit and house it for you. Max @ SFX might take the project on, or the guy at Wounded Paw or Ryan at Big Game... Closer to home: I'm sure there's somebody in Singapore who could do it for you. If not I know a cat in Hong Kong who'll do it for you (not me, a real amp/fx guru).

Nic. likes this.
  4. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Nic. likes this.
  5. 180?cb=20130411035507.jpg

How could I forget Josh!

6. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    Thanks! I just dropped him a message. If it doesn't work out I might get someone local to build the HPF pre.

DirtyDuke likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021