1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this a pre-Gibson Toby?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gdeak, Jun 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gdeak

Gdeak

May 21, 2016
    San Diego
    Local gentleman is selling what he claims is a "pre-Gibson Toby Standard" - not pro. He says bolt-on neck. Here's the snap he sent in response to my request. It looks a lot like an Epiphone Toby, but not quite: pot positions are different. 45 min of searching has turned up virtually no info about pre-Gibson *Standard* Toby models. Note also the truss cover, black headstock, and p'ups. Help??

Attached Files:

2. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Not a bass which collectors would describe and value as a “pre-Gibson” Tobias; irrespective of date of manufacture.

Gdeak likes this.
  3. Yeah, the Toby was made overseas, not by M. Tobias, or his Burbank crew, so there is no handmade equivalent that commands a premium.

Gdeak likes this.
  4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I love a good Toby mystery! the Epi Toby should have a black fretboard as well, and the ET headstock logo isn't solid but an outline, maybe you got a proto Epi? what's he a$king?

Gdeak likes this.
  5. Id pass personally. It doesn’t look like a high end one no matter which era it came from.

Gdeak likes this.
  6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    IIRC the Toby series came out when Gibson Tobias stopped production of
    USA made Tobias basses. This was a budget line made in Asia and not associated
    with Pre-Gibson. Maybe worth $200.00
    I smell a snow job on the description.
    There are Tb'ers who worked for Mike Tobias that may
    weigh in here.

Gdeak likes this.
  7. Musicyo Toby Deluxe. Musicyo was a Gibson web site that sold entry level instruments named for and modelled after more famous ones from brands that Gibson had acquired such as Tobias, Steinberger, and Kramer. It's comparable to the current Epiphone Toby, though the Epi sounds better. There was also a neckthrough Musicyo Toby Pro. Seller is deluded or dishonest.

There were 400 Tobias Standard basses made in Japan with final setup in the (Gibson owned) Tobias US shop while Michael Tobias was still with the company; these are high quality neck through instruments.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    steelbed45, lowendrv and Gdeak like this.
  8. Gdeak

Gdeak

May 21, 2016
    San Diego
    You guys are good - thanks for the info! Once I saw the picture I was pretty dubious. I also got a prompt reply from Mike (Tobias - nice guy!). According to him it was most likely made by Cort, in Korea, in the early 1990s, and nothing to do with him. Buyer's asking $200, which seems ok but not a bargain. I was thinking of buying it as a back-up beater or to keep in my office, but if the Epi Toby sounds better I bet I could find one for 100-150. Oh well. The search continues...

However, I might offer to buy the bag for my Growler 5. :))
    Have a good night, all.

9. Gdeak

Gdeak

May 21, 2016
    San Diego
    Oh, BTW what really threw me was the pots configuration - hell if I could find any pictures of an early-90s Toby (except Pros) with that diamond-shaped placement. I was confounded. Gibson/Cort really must've eaten it with that particular model: either didn't sell many, or they're so bad that no one who bought one was compelled to keep it or even try to re-sell it. :/

10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    (?!) I'd be checking that out days ago, have you played it?

11. Gdeak

Gdeak

May 21, 2016
    San Diego
    Not yet. The world is full of $200 cheapo basses; there's no reason to think this model even tried to incorporate any of Mike's clever designs, and the fact that there's no market and no one knows about them suggests it's not worth my time to try it out. I mean if I had tons of time I'd bother meeting him out of curiosity, but if I need a back-up bass I'd rather start by looking at models that're commonly regarded as a stand-out entry/mid level bargains (e.g., some Schecters), not randomly sampling failed flash-in-the-pan name-licensing "First Act"-type models.

That being said, if you have reason to think that the Cort/Korean Toby Standard entry-levels are any good...

12. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    maybe you missed my signature LOL if you're struggling to afford the entry level basses suggested to you yet are considering this odd $200 Toby to be rubbish then give me the guy's contact info cos I'm interested!

13. It’s not

14. Tobias-ish NBD

Old review from a TBer who liked his Toby Deluxe, and pics showing the diamond knob placement pattern. I found the Epiphone Toby to be more bright and aggressive sounding, which is what I like.

Gc has 2 used Epi Toby basses under $150 plus shipping for anyone willing to risk a used bass bought sight unseen from GC. Unless you live in Peoria or Wichita. Also 2 used Toby Pro 6ers, one is I think a bit high at $600 while some GC employee was quite high indeed when he or she bought the other specimen, priced at $1800. Maybe buy all the Tobys you can and trade them in at Guitar Center Gwinnett, wherever that is, for 3X what you paid for them, then go buy a vintage Tobias or new MTD with the profits.

Gdeak likes this.
  15. Gdeak

Gdeak

May 21, 2016
    San Diego
    lol! I like how you think.