1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this bass worth the trouble?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by autodidact, Jan 17, 2012.

1. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    There's a Squier Bronco bass listed on my local Craigslist for $50 and its listed in "non-working" condition. There's not much to the bass so finding the problem shouldn't be too hard. Do y'all think its worth the effort. I'm not sure if its worth flipping since I wont get much for it but on the other hand...its a bass! Any input?

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    the agathis body and maple neck are a good starting point. It's simple circuit and will be simple to get working again.

I say go for it.

Best of luck with the project!

Bob

3. Any bass is worth buying at that price.

4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The replacement electronics will cost more than the bass :p

5. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Very likely, especially if you do it right.

I've got a Bronco that I routed out a neck pickup area and put two Guitar Fetish Hot Rails with Series/Parallel switching as well as new pickguard and pots/jack. I also replaced the tuners and bridge.

It's sweet and I really love it, but it definitely cost more than what I paid for the bass.

Bob

6. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    You should do it.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Even though I'm a MIA snob, I'd do it. Especially with the Precision based parts.

8. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
  9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    If your goal is to have fun with it then go for it.

10. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I have my main gigging basses already. This is gonna be my "learn to solder and abuse" bass

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I suggest you read the very, very, long thread on Bronco bass mods here. It's full of good ideas and comments about various kinds of pickups.

12. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Will do! Thanks for the tip :bassist:

13. Davejs

Davejs

Dec 21, 2011
    Look at it this way if the neck is good you bough a neck for $50 This could be a great learning platform and test bed for parts and such. Say you scour ads and shops only to find some obscure parts you always wanted to try. Perfect place to start snce the body can be cut up and modded for anything. Hell if you find a combo you really like work on your refinishing skills.

14. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    OOPs

15. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I bought a used Bronco for $70.

I already had wire, pots and cap.
    I had been given a B&G Passive
    F split pole P bass pickup. B&G
    is an Indonesian company that
    makes pickups for PRS and others.

I put Peavey tuners on it.

I bought a pickguard to make a
    pickup ring out of that cost $11.50.

So I've got $81.50 invested in it,

12-28-1.

His name is Petey. Named after
    Our Gang TV star,

peteydog2.

12-19-4b.

I filed fret ends and dressed the
    frets. I made that maple thumb
    rest out of some scrap I had.

It sounds and plays real nice. It's
    my first short scale and I'm really
    diggin it,

Tabdog

16. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Update: Its a Chinese made Affinity Bronco...the neck feels steady, tuners are pretty solid and its got a little weight to it which I like. Lots of roadrash (mojo?) so I'm not worried about keeping it pretty. Also it looks like someone drew sharpie dots behind the bridge, possible they were planning a string through mod? This thing needs a THOROUGH cleaning. Seller failed to mention that she hadn't cleaned the thing EVER and possibly rolled it around in dirt? E and A strings are flats and D and G are rounds (all standard scale mind you) so that the actually thick part of the string is wrapped around the posts.

However amongst all the problems with this bass I see potential. This could make one hell of a punk bass by the time I'm done with it.

17. adrian5b

adrian5b

Jan 15, 2012
    I'm not fond of Squier, but you should definitely buy it.

18. Well heck, it's all there. All you have to do is get it working as-is, really. Find and fix the broken wire or whatever, put new strings on and there you go.

19. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Great find !

If for some reason you decide to flip it, please let me know...I'm looking for a cheap Bronco....

And if you keep it, mod the heck out of it and have fun !

:)

20. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Its also got the cloverleaf looking tuners which is a plus, I like the look of those