1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this Fender Telecaster Bass a Squier?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GlennW, Apr 22, 2009.

1. crack-boom

crack-boom

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand
    i dunno, but id buy it haha. just change that bridge to a more traditional fender style and it'll be all goods for me

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Looks like a refinished/reliced Squier with a bogus Fender decal.

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    That's what I was thinking, with a F neck plate.

I don't think I've ever seen a Fender Tele Bass with that body finish.

4. Well, .... it's made in Mexico.

Ahhhh..... sorry the NECK was made in Mexico.
    "Neck Serial No. MN9146563 - "made in Mexico""

The guitar was assembled in the USA with Fender parts.

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
  6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The neck is supposedly a '99 MIM. Did Fender even make MIM Tele Basses in '99?

7. I'm wondering about that neck too.

8. I think it gives a description of what it is.. Parts bass..mim neck.

9. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It isn't. Notice he just quotes the serial number and what the decal says, but never actually "states" that the neck is made in Mexico.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that this is a Squier VM that has been refinned. I just did one myself about 2 weeks ago.

Notice the transition from the back of the neck to the headstock ? Sharp edges like a Squier.

Notice that Fender has not offered a "Mudbucker" for many years EXCEPT in the Squier VM.

Notice the 3 ply guard ? Notice that the 3 ply guard doesn't have a screw ABOVE the tone knob ? Neither did mine - I had to drill and add it. It's funny, because the "press shots" show the screw, but the actual bass (at least mine and this one) don't have it.

Notice the brass saddles like on the Squier ?

He says the body is "solid ash", but in fact it is ash veneers on a basswood body.

EDIT: Images from Bass Emporium added to illustrate my point - right click "view image" to see them full size

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don;t get me wrong, it's a nice bass. I personally would have (and AM in my auction) disclosed the origins of the bass.

10. stylonpilson

stylonpilson

Jun 30, 2008
    Reading, UK
    This thread is talking about the same bass on eBay.

S.P.

11. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Thanks. I was 99% sure the body was from a recent Squier; a scale would probably prove it's basswood with ash veneers.

12. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
  13. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Fake MIM's...the times they are a-changin'. That seller is definately scamming.

14. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I don't know if I would say he's "scamming". He's definitely "omitting" information about the details, and using some clever wordplay. Certainly some work went into the refin on the neck, aging the parts, adding decals and neck plate, etc. He has also offered a "best offer" option on his auction, so the $800 is just the price he'd like in a "perfect world".

If he was scamming, I would think he'd try to pass it off as a true 70's Tele bass.

Just my opinion.

15. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Well, I think he's done a neat job on the refin.

16. The guys states pretty unequivocally in the auction that it's a reliced bass made from Fender-licensed parts. Don't you guys read?

17. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

So do I. I think it looks pretty darn good. Only the neck was refinned, but I like the tasteful relic work he did overall.

18. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    We all read it just fine. What was being discussed was the ORIGIN OF THOSE PARTS. It was asked "is this a Squier" in the original post. It is.