1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this low or high action?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adamerom, Jun 10, 2019.

1. ToneMaven

ToneMaven

Dec 22, 2018
    Hmm...makes me want to design a "Drop J bridge" that lifts up the strings for gut-wrenching, nipple-piercing, tattooed metal thunder but then, later that night you can jump into your khaki Dockers, flip a lever and boom, the strings come down for your jazz gig.

tlite likes this.
  2. I set up for 1/2 a credit card thickness at 7th fret while depressing very first and very last fret.

3. thetragichero

thetragichero

Jan 4, 2019
    i like my action stupid high (subtlety is not my strong suit) so it's low for me lol

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    That's not Klay Thompson in the background, is it?

Keger Jupit and Geddy Claypool like this.
  5. apolinario87

apolinario87

Dec 13, 2013
    Pretty high to me! o_O

6. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    Looks a little high, but also consider how you play when setting your action. I tend to "dig in" on certain songs so I keep some basses set up a little higher so I don't get a lot of clank when/if I dig in.

7. adamerom

adamerom

May 16, 2019
    can i set it to low by my self? and how, the neck is very straight, what i need to do? (sorry bad english)

8. RodneyM

RodneyM

Dec 9, 2018
    Los Angeles
    There's an online article from an old Bass Player magazine with an interview with Roger Sadowsky, where he gave what he considered low (Marcus Miller) and high (Will Lee) action. He also mentioned Marcus had since raised his preference but this was all in the article (1996).
    Action being measured from the top of the 12th fret and bottom of said string...
    Low: G = 1/16", E = 3/32"
    High: G = 1/8", E = 5/32"
    I prefer a neck just shy of straight and action low, even lower than above on my thumb slinger.
    I had a machinist make a small, 1' long by 1/4" wide stepped gauge that has increments of 1/16, 3/32, 1/8 and 5/32. Comes in handy and keeps me in perspective. Sometimes I fight to get the action lower and it's already there. LOL.

9. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Your most important tool is a small ruler.

Those look like tallish frets, which exaggerate the perception of high action.

I like my action to be 3/32” from the bottom of the string to the top of the fret at the 12th fret, with the G string a little lower. I can feel anything higher or lower. It’ll vary up to 1/32” with temperature and atmospheric changes.

If you’re not happy with the feel of the neck after you have adjusted the string height, a truss rod adjustment may be in order. You will have to adjust the string height again every time you tweak the truss rod.

Then there’s pickup height.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  10. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Get a spark plug gap tool from an auto parts store. Very inexpensive and does the job well.

11. Alan Ace Cooper

Alan Ace Cooper Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Northern Virginia, USA - 13 mi
    Endorsing artist: Devon Basses, DR Strings, EMG pickups, Bag End Cabs
    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

12. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Never heard of this- thanks for the idea.

13. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Yes it is

14. All depends on your playing style really. It's relatively high if you have a light touch, light picking, thin picks, etc and likely spot on if you play hard and tend to dig in or use thicker picks, etc. You will tend to notice if it's high or not for your playing style by the amount of fret buzz during normal playing. If no buzz now as it currently stands, then tweak the relief down until some buzzing starts, then increase the relief slightly. I would recommend playing for a few days or weeks on each new setting before making further adjustments. Only adjust if you genuinely need to. Everyone plays differently so you need to learn your setup specs over time.

15. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    And then if it's buzzing high on the neck before it buzzes low, or vice versa, goto step 1 and repeat.

Hounddog409 likes this.
  16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Depends on the player's style and how hard they play. I like mine about that high but I want the option for a wide range of playing dynamics.

I recently finished adjusting mine for the effect of our Summer season on the neck.

17. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    Looks fine if you like to really dig in. If you have lady fingers you may want to get it lowered.

18. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Looks like my string height but without the frets.

scuzzy likes this.
  19. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    That’s high to me, my fingers started to ache just looking at it...

20. Screnshaw

Screnshaw

Nov 20, 2017
    Now that's funny!

Stumbo likes this.