1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this low or high action?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adamerom, Jun 10, 2019.

1. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    Highish but not terrible

2. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    More high than low.

3. Drop1

Drop1

Mar 28, 2019
    I'd say, it depends, on your playing style and tone.

If you play aggressive and faster music with a lot of high mids it could be the perfect height. Too low and fret buzz can get annoying if you dont want it.
    Also, playing finger style letting your finger fall on the next string can cause a nasty clunk sound.

If you play with a light touch and tend to cut the high mids it is higher than it needs to be. Nothing I would consider "wrong" per say. Well in the limits of being playable, maybe even preferable.

4. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    I suppose that’s for those of us from the sixties and seventies...lol!

Stumbo likes this.
  5. twelvetrombones

twelvetrombones Martian Ambassador Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Here, I measured it for you. The fret spacing from the 11-12th fret is about 25mm, which means your action at the 12 fret is 25mm * (length of the short line) / (length of the long line), meaning about 2.125mm from this angle.

What action needs to be is determined by many factors, playing style and personal preference included.

Now, Fender specs string action at the 17th fret. A standard 9.5 inch fingerboard bass should have its action set to 2.4mm on the bass side (6/64th). To me that is quite high, I like more like 2mm at the 17th fret if I can prevent buzzing. The basses I have, set to 2mm or a hair above at the 17th fret suggest yours is 0.5-1 mm too high for my liking at 12th fret.

upload_2019-6-11_18-16-52.

6. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Here are the current Sadowsky setup specs from our site:

https://www.sadowsky.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2019_Sadowsky_Setup_Specs.pdf

RodneyM and Alan Ace Cooper like this.
  7. adamerom

adamerom

May 16, 2019
    Oh ty, so what i need to do to get a low action? just setup the bridge or the neck?

8. Drop1

Drop1

Mar 28, 2019
    Straighten your neck just a hair and lower your stings until it starts giving too much fret buzz and raise them back up until you are happy.
    Your not far out of shape as it is. 1/8 to 1/4 turn on the truss should be more than enough.

9. twelvetrombones

twelvetrombones Martian Ambassador Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Portland, OR
    There was a video posted somewhere in this thread about how to set up a bass. One of these I think.

Use this link to get the right specs:

How do I set up my bass guitar properly?

You'll need some automotive feeler gauges to measure relief, a good quality ruler or a string action ruler, and possibly a capo.

What you need to do (bridge and/or neck) depends. One note of advice: If at all uncomfortable or unsure how to adjust the truss rod ask a professional...

10. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California