1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clutchcarter, May 13, 2011.

1. IMG_1283.
    Hello everyone!
    I'm considering buying this bass, but, is this normal?

Check out this pic, is that a plug in the headstock? If it is, is that normal?

The bass looks great otherwise, but what could that be from?
    Thanks

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I dont know about it being "normal", but I dont think its anything to be too concerned about. Does it show on the other side too? What kind of bass is it? Looks Fenderish to me.

3. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Is that a 4 or 5? Could be that it had a D-Tuna or something installed, removed, and then a mounting hole was properly "repaired".

4. IMG_1280.

Here is a pic of the other side.

Obviously by this pic, it's a five string.

I guess it could have had a drop tuner?

Looks really nice overall.

5. yeah i wouldn't worry about it, looks like its had something there but has been repaired properly.

6. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    It could be a pin-hole from the routing process (wood is held in place with pins while it is cut). That's my guess.

7. UncleMattGuy

UncleMattGuy

Jan 26, 2011
    Looks to me like a misplaced tuner hole that was nicely repaired. Not a big deal but I would act like it is to knock the price down!

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    The diameter of the hole appears to be either far to small for the tuner through-hole or far too large to be a repaired screw hole.

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Mis-drilled tuner mounting hole looks like.

10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Could it possibly have been originally slated for a 4+1 headstock? I have never seen anything like that on a non-alterd factory bass

11. UncleMattGuy

UncleMattGuy

Jan 26, 2011
    I forgot to ask new or used? If new It would be a factory second and should be priced accordingly.

12. It's a used one. I think I'll make an offer. It was repaired nicely if that's what it was. Could be a factory second I suppose.
    Thanks for the replies.

13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Absolutely. Especially if you're buying from a store.

14. maches

maches

Oct 14, 2010
    Santee, CA
    Did no one else notice that those are gotoh tuners? Not stock on a Fender...They replaced the original tuners and the hole is probably from the originals, or another tuner the owner started to put on. Is there only one repaired hole?

15. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I thought they were stock on a 5'er?

16. sowegafly

sowegafly

Mar 25, 2010
    I do believe that is normal. I have one of those mim 5 string deluxe jazz and it has the same thing in the same spot. must be a pin hole from the routing process

17. maches

maches

Oct 14, 2010
    Santee, CA
    okay my bad, so a factory blem. I would definitely try to talk the seller down if you are buying new.

18. sowegafly

sowegafly

Mar 25, 2010
    I wouldn't necessarily call it a factory blem if it is on all the basses of that model due to the manufacturing process. I assure you its nothing to worry about. I've had mine for 5 or 6 years and never noticed until you posted this thread.

19. Interesting that yours has the same thing, it must be common.
    I don't think it has been modified because it looks super cherry in all of the pics.
    I'm pretty sure the Gotoh tuners are original on a 5.
    Really don't think it's an issue, just interesting.
    Maybe it'll be mine soon!?:bassist:

20. tk4207

tk4207

Sep 25, 2010
    There is an identical mark on the MIM Fender five string jazz at my school. Nothing to worry about.