1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this something I should worry about? Please help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassist4, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Nice bass! Too bad it’s cracked. :D

I just want to pile on the “don’t worry about it” bandwagon. Even if it were a crack in the wood, it’s meaningless. If a chunk of wood falls out, save it so you can superglue it back in.

Go volunteer at a homeless shelter. THEY have problems. :thumbsup:

2. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    YEA BABY!!!!!
    A super cool p bass that gets played!!!
    and has some cool MoJo!
    sweet....

Bassist4 likes this.
  3. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
    Common... a little compassion guys... we sometimes forget the first chip stings a little...

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

ok.

5. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Another PT Barnum in the crowd...lol!! Well played.

6. AudioTaper

AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
  7. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Yeah, super glue. I have fixed actual wood (not finish) cracks in headstocks with thin super glue. I let it wick in and clamped it. You probably just need some regular stuff, but not thick. You want it to get under the flake.

Gunga Din likes this.
  8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Hard to tell really but it does look like a finish crack rather than a wood crack. I've seen this on a few of my basses I've owned, usually ones with a tighter fitting neck - when the temperature changes, wood expands, so sometimes the neck may press up a little bit against the neck pocket and cracks the finish. Other causes are over-tightening the neck bolts. Nothing to worry about, it does happen on some.

Regarding the superglue, if you choose to do this, you may want to remove the neck before you apply it. You don't want to superglue it with the neck on, just in case any of the glue seeps through that crack (finish or otherwise) and comes into contact with the neck.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  9. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    Put a band aid on it. Nobody will notice!

10. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    I wouldn't worry. It's probably just a pretty snug fit in the neck pocket, and like many other materials, wood will shrink or expand with various temperatures and humidity.

It's extremely small, and I'm not even sure how you noticed it in the first place.

11. I have the same in the neck pocket my FrankenFender MiM body, it is only the finish.

12. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    As everyone else said, nothing unusual at all. I have it a little bit on my stringray picture in my profile pic. Really only noticeable when you try to look for it though.

13. Bassist4

Bassist4

Jul 4, 2010
    Right Here
    I look at that bass A LOT probably as much as i play it, thats when i noticed it.

GBBSbassist likes this.
  14. Bassist4

Bassist4

Jul 4, 2010
    Right Here
    AudioTaper likes this.
  15. Bassist4

Bassist4

Jul 4, 2010
    Right Here
    Thank you.

16. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Don't superglue it without removing the neck first. The glue will wick into the neck/body joint and the next time you remove the neck, there will be a lot more breakage

Bill Whitehurst and AudioTaper like this.
  17. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Cracks like this are common and are frequently caused by removing or loosening the neck to get at the truss rod adjustment nut without removing the strings. The strings pull the neck to the side and crack that thin part of the body in the neck pocket. I have seen some cracks caused by the neck pocket being too tight....Zon basses are well known to develop these cracks.

18. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Absolutely, don't worry. Your cat could made it.

19. Lava

Lava

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Nope. If a chip flakes off, hold on to it until you want to take it to a luthier to repair it. Not a big deal at all.

20. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Another thread that would benefit from a more descriptive title. I assumed the OP was worried he/she had contracted an STD.