1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this something I should worry about? Please help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassist4, Apr 14, 2019.

1. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    Its a Steve Harris bass, it should be able to repair itself when you play Trooper! :)
    As many people mentioned above it doesnt look like something important, just a crack on the finish.

By the way i wonder why they havent put a 70s style neck on it when they released the bass? Steve uses the exact same bass from the beginning, only the body finish changed in time, the neck is always been 70s style precision neck even on his backup basses.

I know he carried that signature bass to the concerts but i never saw him using it, perhaps he brought the bass in order to promote the sales of the bass.

2. Bassist4

Bassist4

Jul 4, 2010
    Right Here
    Very funny about the trooper fixing it , ive always wondered about the neck too..it has a 50s neck..super thick n steve does have a 59 p bass with rosewood fretboard i think thats the checkered colored one...but your right his main bass is either a 69/70 p bass.

3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    It's unlikely the wood grain would crack in that way - the wood fibers would be pretty much parallel with the neck, and wood cracks along/between fibers, not across them. Proceed, lose the worry, and play the snot out of it.

Bassist4 likes this.
  4. Both of my P Basses have similar cracks and they have been going strong like that for the several years I have had them and probably long before I acquired either one of them. Nothing to worry about at all.

Bassist4 likes this.
  5. Bassist4

Bassist4

Jul 4, 2010
    Right Here
    Isvthere a certain superglue u guys would reccomend?

6. If there’s a hobby store in town you could pick up a small bottle of thin glue. Always buy a small bottle because once opened they will eventually harden on their own. No hobby store?, hit the dollar store.
    Unless you’re really ham fisted I see no need to remove the neck or mask around it etc. You’re counting on the thin stuff wicking into the crack to simply stabilize it. For more control you can apply the glue to something like a toothpick and apply that to the crack.

7. Bassist4

Bassist4

Jul 4, 2010
    Right Here

Thanks fender bender ...so no neck removal? Because i was going to remove neck n hope n pray that that chunk doesnt fall out during process...abd glue from behind the crack? But you dont think i should remove neck at all?

8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    :bassist: it.

9. Taking the neck off brings the potential for making the problem worse. Put glue directly into the crack and let it settle in. Let dry overnight.

Bassist4 likes this.
  10. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Only a stamp collector should worry about something that small.Turn it up and rock on!:bassist:

11. If it is thin enough to wick into the crack,
    it will be thin enough to wick into the neck pocket and glue the neck on.
    Remove the neck first.
    Use only a tiny amount.
    Let it dry over night.

If there is a ridge or drip in the pocket you may need to sand inside of it for clearance.

If your luck runs like mine the repair will go just fine and you'll be so happy you'll turn while playing
    the next day and knock a big chunk out of the finish somewhere that will show.
    Life happens.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  12. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    It's MOJO!
    Your bass is now worth $3000.00 more than your buying price!

Seriously.This is what happens when you buy shiny,painted basses.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 3:24 AM