Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

*** is with the signature limit?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by jammadave, Oct 6, 2004.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    hey guys -

I tried to change my sig to the following:
    -----
    Cheers
    Dave

-Fodera Yin/Yang, F Bass BNF5, Conklin GTBD7

-Boss ME-50B

-BBE Bmax -> QSC PLX2402 -> Schroeder 1210

My Portfolio (visual stuff)
    -----

Note that I even removed the color tags from the gear list and all that, compare current sig. I just wanted to add the link at the bottom.

But it's telling me THAT is more than 200 characters? MS Word counts that as 196 even with spaces! Plus, all the HTML stuff shouldn't even count toward the tally!

Double-you Tee Eff?!?!?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    maybe it's counting carriage returns/line feeds towards the limit?

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    and formating I believe... mine is actually close to the limit

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    There was a certain troll who used to post here that had this as his signature:

(repeat ad infinitum)

It crashed browsers, computers, made everything load slowly, etc. It was completely insane. I believe it was a prudent measure to limit it to 200 characters.

5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well, I'm not complaining the limit itself, really!

- but non-printing characters, i.e. formatting or even a URL's actual link, should by no means count against the user. (and as stated above, my count in Word was below 200 anyway)

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There is probably not a way to have the Forum software differentiate between vB code/html and characters.

The reason that there is a limit on signature length is because some people had annoying 25 line signatures.

A bunch of us old timers campaigned to have a limit put on signatures.

I voted for five lines.

I don't know if 200 characters was decided on by Paul as a reasonable limit, or if the software does not allow a line limit, only a characters per field limit. If this is the case, perhaps we could petition Paul to increase it to 300 characters?

7. I would like a slight increase, nothing like unlimited, that is too much, but I do think that 300 would be nice. However back when the limit was first placed I tried to change my sig, but it was slightly over and what I wanted wasn't all that long.....maybe length be another addition for supporting/gold members, or just the increased limit for EVERYBODY!!! YAY!! :hyper:

..sorry..