1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is your gear worth more than your car?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by GManfromOz, Jan 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yes

70.3%
  2. Not yet but I'm trying

29.7%
  1. GManfromOz

GManfromOz

Jul 27, 2016
    It just happened, my gear is now worth more than my car.

2. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Has been that way for years. I drive junkers..wife gets the nice cars.

3. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Yes, I roughly added it all up the other day and honestly it was kind of shameful and embarrassing. Not so much the dollar amount total, but it led me to think of the % of my income that gets spent on gear. 2017 was ridiculous. I need to be happy with what I have and chill out. I actually thought about selling my motorcycle for a less expensive model so I could buy more gear. GAS is a totally real thing. Yikes. If theres any silver lining its better than a drug or gambling addiction I guess.

4. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    Well, that depends. I own 5 cars and only one is more expensive than my gear. One is approaching my gear cost but needs more mods before it gets there.

tlc1976 and Old Blastard like this.
  5. CGremlin

CGremlin Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Mine is, but in fairness, at this point I double the value of my truck every time I go to the gas station.

Ian Lewis, juggernaut1, Flad and 59 others like this.
  6. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    No, and I'm not trying.

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Easily.

8. blliB

blliB

Mar 5, 2017
    East
    Bass is a hobby. If it were my source of income, I wouldn’t even be able to afford a car...or my gear.

9. CB3UK

CB3UK

Jan 13, 2017
    Kentucky
    Oh, no doubt. Only my 2008 Civic is worth more. I have a 98 Ranger in mint condition and a 97 Corolla that I use to put miles on to keep the other two from being overused. The Ranger is probably blue book between 1500-2K.....the Corolla I'd be shocked if it's more than 500. She's got 254K miles and still chugging along. That's fine by me.

10. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I never spend mote than about 3k on a car, or whatever cash I get from my last payout from one being totalled... so my Roscoe cost more than each of my last 5 cars.

Wife gets a nice car though...

11. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    My 07 Dodge Grand Caravan is worth about 2500
    I haul my gear in go to the Farm and get supplies etc
    I have about 10 grand in gear.
    My wife always gets the new car my job is to keep her safe and that is one way I do that.
    As for me dependable transportation is all I require
    Duke

12. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Definitely. I own one car and my most valuable bass alone (not taking into account all my other gear) is worth nearly twice what the car is worth.

But my car gets me where I need to go and my paid-for gear gives me much enjoyment and makes money.

13. otp57

otp57

Oct 10, 2016
    My Bass is worth more than me.

14. I wish my car held its value like my music gear has.

Knobby, juggernaut1, Flad and 10 others like this.
  15. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain ...I'm a rough boy Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shelter Island, NY USA
    I own five basses and only one of them is worth LESS than my car (one of them is worth like 3 times what my car is worth)

interp and Nephilymbass like this.
  16. Of Course. 2004 Ford Expedition.. But my trucks duty is to carry all my gear from rehearsal,studio and shows safely ,secure.. So the truck is part of my investment in music too!:thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  17. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Sparklin’ Sonic Blue! Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, Maryland
    Haha... hadn’t thought of it that way... I own a (newish) PA- so my 3 basses w/amps & accessories (& PA) are itemized at a replacement value of $24,000 & change- my Ford Focus was $18,000, new, in 2012. (I do have a Dodge Grand Caravan, used, which my wife uses- that I carry my equip. in... so maybe I’m ‘even’) :p

gelinas666 likes this.
  18. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    I don't have a car, even I don't have a Bike, i just have a crappy Bicycle...yes I'm fuc*ing poor.(don't judge me wrong, I'm an engineer(Master degree) but living in as*hole of Earth:vomit:)

19. StraffordMike

StraffordMike

Apr 25, 2015
    I've been driving an uninspected car since last March. I do appreciate the short daylight hours this time of year. Why buy crazy things like catalytic converters if there's equipment to buy.
    Let's see; catalytic converter or Anpeg Scr pedal?
    Catalytic converter or matching Hydrives 4x10 for that inevitable festival gig I will probably never get?
    See where I'm going with this?
    After turning a wrench most of my life I can't stay far enough away from wheeled internal combustion devices. Doing it professionally bled the fun right out of cars. Yeah I'm bitter. What's it to ya?! :D

20. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Mont Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Yes. And I have a pretty nice car.

Loring likes this.