1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is your guitarist too loud? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ThinCrappyTone, Apr 15, 2019 at 2:02 PM.

1. Yes

154 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. I do not play with a guitarist

18 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Serious question

2. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    Some are some aren't. But there definitely seems to be an inverse relationship to talent and volume.

NrIdMJS.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 10:23 AM
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yes, but it's me, so I can't really complain much. Bassist is too loud as well. :p

Wisebass, oZZma, gregmon79 and 4 others like this.
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    If it's a serious question, there should be an option for "no."

5. Apparently I am very fortunate to play with two guitarist who understand volume as it relates to the sound of the band. Sometimes our Lead Guitarist has been known to get a little loud in the third set but I just give him the stink eye and he's back in check!

Lobster11 and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Apparently I'm even more fortunate, as I play in one band with two guitarists and another with three. As you say, someone might sneak up a little once in a while -- usually when turning effects on or off -- but they get called out for it quickly and immediately adjust.

I think the secret is simple: Every one of them has their amp on a stand pointed at their own heads. (Well, that and the fact that none of them are jerks.)

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

[​IMG]

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

8. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Rigging the polls, eh? :laugh:

9. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Yes. I’m seriously considering a “no guitarist” option for my next project. This will require a good keyboardist, which is another issue entirely. But I’m sick of the volume and egos.

Admiral Akbar and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My guitarist runs a Line 6 Helix. I run in ear monitors. So..... nope. :D He is precisely and exactly as loud as I want him to be.

11. Yes.. but he tells me to play louder also. Soooo... pardon? Speak up!

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  12. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    God, yes.

13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If anyone gets too loud and doesn't turn down, I stop playing. Works every time.

14. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    My band is currently looking for a guitarist. I can say with confidence that he or she, wherever and whoever they may be, is too loud. Guaranteed.

ThinCrappyTone and bobyoung53 like this.
  15. I know none that I can claim are "mine".

Abe-of-Bass, LowActionHero and Helix like this.
  16. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    I play in a very part time original rock band with a lead guitar player who is always good with volume. She has a subtle and compelling style, and just does her job (almost like a country player would do) rather than overwhelming everything with a wall of angry self.

17. He should've included a poll option for people who don't get the joke.

18. Yep. Usually their "ego" is louder though from what I have mostly seen in my experiences too.

19. Lol, funny!

I didn’t vote. Most I play with are loud, but pretty responsibly so. Maturity has mellowed them. Then the one guy in the blues band is a true unicorn. We all keep telling him to turn up but he’s always the quietest one. I wish the drummer would learn from him.

20. I'm in two bands, in one, a blues band the guitarist plays loud and always says we have to play soft tonight, room's too small, not enough people bla bla bla, roar!!!!! In the other one which is a rock band the keyboard player is he loud one and the guitar player complains he can't hear himself which is true. I think that guy got let go though for unrelated reasons which is fine by me. I thought the poll was set up perfect.