Issues with stage volume

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by crucislancer, May 15, 2021.

1. Typical self centered Rock Star Syndrome rookie beginner snot attitude. Obviously oblivious to the definition of "professionalism". Either he'd be gone or I would. Such passive aggressive conduct is completely unacceptable to anyone who wants to be perceived as professional.

What arbiterusa said. Sounds like a match made in Purgatory eh? How much crap should anyone have to take, is the guy THAT good that he's worth it? Does the fact that two of the members are new say anything about the issue? Only a matter of time IME...

Omega Monkey and dkelley like this.
  2. Lead guitaritus disease cant be fixed. Walk away with your hearing.

3. Is this guy the BL as well? Is it all on this guy to book the gigs and be responsible for the outcome or is this more of a collaborative effort where everyone has an input? It doesn't really matter I suppose, you've just been told to STFU!

We all like to talk about being a professional band and acting professionally. We act like every situation should be handled perfectly within our professional band. I would suggest - IMHO - if you're questioning how much the guitarists were drinking and you know one snuck out a couple times to toke up - you're not in a professional band and you shouldn't expect professional treatment.

Maybe you were a jerk when you brought the volume issue up and he is acting out. Maybe you were perfectly professional and he's just a jerk. I don't know.

I do know I would handle this situation immediately. We can discuss the problem and come to a resolution, even if that resolution is me deciding to leave the band. I'm a grown azz man, you don't get to tell me to STFU.

4. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I have never refused to turn my amp down when asked. It takes a certain kind of arsehole to turn down that sort of request. Also, when a PA and monitors are involved, excessive stage volume is wholly unnecessary. With that said it sounds like your guitarist is doing the sound, and when someone on the stage is also the soundman it is pretty terrible most of the time. I used to play at a bar regularly where the mixer was at the back of the stage...good lucking getting a good mix when you can't even hear the FOH from the mixer.

5. wmhill

wmhill Inactive Suspended

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    when this happens, I treat them to their own medicine and play the first set at a volume that would drown out a howitzer. I find that usually brings things back to reality rather fast. (Unless it's a keyboardist, then the only hope is to cut off their left hand)

6. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    LOL I thought about that. That wouldn't be a problem to do. Funny, we had a keys player in the band until recently, and when his left hand got heavy I just asked him to back off, and he did. Why? Because he's a great guy and a pro.

7. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Inner Ear Device........IED, but yours is better.

HolmeBass likes this.
  8. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Off to the gig in a few, I'll report back tomorrow with what happened. Thanks for all the comments, gave me a lot of food for thought.

Artman and dkelley like this.
  9. RodneyM

RodneyM

Dec 9, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Reasoning won’t do much. If it’s not a soundman or the crowd saying it’s too loud, well then good luck.
    Take your ego out of it and begin the discussion with the end in mind. Be flexible and prepare to compromise.

Omega Monkey likes this.
  10. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Good luck finding your new band without said guitarist.

Artman and obimark like this.
  11. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I'd discuss it with the whole band after the gig(s) and I'd call him out specifically saying no need to be passive aggressive, lets discuss it like adults face to face.

I've been in bands with a guitarist like that (twice actually), and we've replaced him both times because of the same behavior you described... ;)

Good Luck!

Omega Monkey likes this.
  12. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Who is the BL or the guy everyone respects and/or listens to? Who ever that person is should go out front during the first few songs or middle of each set Then use hand signals to tell musicians to turn up or down. In my band that went to the lead singer would occasionally go out to listen. If he told you to turn down and you didn't there would be a discussion later (right away if it was blatant). If a musician repeatedly ignored him they would voted out. Just a thought.

13. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    I know how I would if I was in your shoes. "Buh bye."

Omega Monkey and Herrick like this.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    These things are all over Nashville. They look like a guitar amp but are made from sound absorbing insulation. Full disclosure, the owner is a friend. I have no money interests in his company.

Speight Baffle Co.
    Screenshot_20210515-224915_DuckDuckGo.jpg

He's even done some custom color ones for a few bars in Nashville.

Ender_rpm, 31HZ, Omega Monkey and 6 others like this.
  15. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx

Sep 8, 2013
    Florida
    I'm sorry. If you cannot control your stage volume appropriately you're a novice, period. I can be loud or I can be amp-less depending on the needs of the gig. That goes for all instruments.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Omega Monkey, EdO., DirtDog and 3 others like this.
  16. coy garcia

coy garcia

Jan 18, 2020
    I couldn't deal with it. You will loose gigs with that kind of volume as you describe. I don't do band drama either and would most likely walk in that situation. Sounds like lots of guitar ego going on.

obimark likes this.
  17. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    There are gigs somewhere?

dkelley, DirtDog and obimark like this.
  18. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    You should track down that keyboard player and start a band with him. Or at least think about it.

Omega Monkey and dkelley like this.
  19. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Actually, I am in a band with him. I joined his band back in November 2019. We don't gig much, but when we do it's fun. All the guys are cool, laid back, and don't stress much. And volume is not an issue.

Omega Monkey, BlueTalon and dkelley like this.
  20. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Not sure why you expect things to change for the better after three years. IMHO you need to make a decision: Either accept the situation as is, or give notice that you will be leaving. It's clear the guitarist is not going to change, so there is really no point in staying and arguing about it.

If you decide to leave, you have one last ditch opportunity to try and influence a change. Essentially you make staying in the band contingent on it. Establish boundaries and hold the guitarist to it. My prediction is you will wind up walking

Also, I hope you are wearing some sort of hearing protection. I know they degrade the sound and experience, but if you don't wear protection, you eventually get degraded sound anyway.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021