Issues with stage volume

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by crucislancer, May 15, 2021.

1. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    The sound guy is the same guy who wrote the message, the lead guitarist. Good point about the booze and ear fatigue!

2. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    See what happens. One thing his note conveys: he has no interest in adjusting to your suggestions. If ear protection doesn’t solve the problem for you (I’m never without), maybe it’s time to move on.

3. "I don't get why it always sounds different when it's time to play. I was getting such great room reverb earlier."

4. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    That's how I'm reading as well. What I think I'll need to research now is good IEMs.

As far as whether to move on, that's been something I have considered, not just for the volume issues but others as well.

FerK and DirtDog like this.
  5. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Yeah. A constant dose of the attitude I just read would surely fray my nerves.

6. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Sound guy = lead guitarist = Mettalica all over again. You're Jason in this analogy. It doesn't end well.

Having your lead guitarist as the sound guy is wrong on a whole bunch of levels. You REALLy need someone who isn't a player to do that job, unless you're OK with being in a band that sucks.

7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I had to do that in one of my bands (that weren’t on IEMs already). I just took a AUX feed from the board so I could hear vox and I had a little mixer so I could monitor my bass as well. Guitars and drums just seeped in, no need for any of that in my IEMs. These guys played LOUD! I had to do something to protect what was left of my hearing.

8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Before I retired from gigging I owned and supplied the PA. It was a constant battle to keep the guitarist in check. Since we were all on IEMs and mic’d I suggested he point his amp in a different direction. But it just didn’t “look” right for him.

it was that battle and the battle with the “too louds” in the crowd that wore me down in the end.

Omega Monkey and dkelley like this.
  9. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I play with two guitarists most weekends. Put them on in ears, take away their amps, let FOH determine how loud they are, and it can be a good thing.

10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    There are lots of bands that have walls of Marshall cabinets for the right "look". In many cases, they're either empty or not plugged in . The actual amps are off stage somewhere, or maybe one of the cabinets is plugged in.

11. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I had a discussion with a band about stage volume once. The only one on board with it was the sound man. He got the same attitude back that I did. I opted to let the sound man know what I was going to do the next gig.

I opted to bring 2 810s with a 2000 watt slave amp to our next gig. apparently they thought my biggest setup was a single 610. I only ran loud for a couple minutes before sound check then brought it back down to the sane level. I didn't say anything to anyone about volume, they didn't say anything to me. I just left it there in reserve. We never had a problem after that. I was back to a 610 the next gig.

PS... sound man offered to by my beer that night... said it was the best he was able to get us to sound.

12. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    A good stage mix is just as important, if not more so, than a good front of house mix.

Most (not all) electric guitarists seem to suffer hearing loss when playing live. They turn their rig up to stupid.

So, what do you do?

1) tell them to please point their amp directly at their head and away from everyone else in the band
    2) side - wash your bass amp (it doesn't have to face forward, it is for you and the band to hear. The PA is for the audience)
    3) kid yourself by asking mr annoying to turn down
    4) tell them to find another bass player because it isn't fun anymore

There may be other options, but after gigging for years, this is the reality... wish you the best of luck, and keep the faith on bass

13. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Arrogance doesn't fly with me... (see, I can do it too)

dkelley, Artman and crucislancer like this.
  14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Discuss it. Is it a business or a friends get together? Some people don't see this from a professional perspective and so none of it matters. Some hear the whole band and want it to all fit. If constructive criticism doesn't work leave the band. That criticism could be "turn up" or "play another solo the crowd digs it."

I've learned that if no one is grown enough to work together it only gets more intense when newer opportunities show up. Anyone who says okay and adjusts is a grownup. If (insert famous Pro here) hired all of them would they listen? Then to get there they need to listen to each other. You don't get professional then. You are now whether it's a cookout, a freebee, or opening for a national act. This whole thing is fun and hard enough without giving the event owner anything but positives.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    How long have you been in this band? Is this new? First time the guitars were too loud?

dkelley likes this.
  16. ladybug

ladybug Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2007
    USA
    Exactly, and a sound guy who you pay will tell you when things become unbalanced on stage.

Omega Monkey and dkelley like this.
  17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The difference between amateurs and pro/pro level musicians is the ability make your presence known without having to dime your volume levels. I also agree about guitarists bringing way too much amp/cab for the gig. I play with a guy who just won't downsize. His ability to blend in is always impaired. There's been several instances over the years where I was asked to turn up. I responded with 'Why are we so loud?'

18. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    3 years in July. This isn't new, the volume issues or the passive/aggressive comments from the guitarist. I thought things were getting better in that regard, but I guess not.

dkelley and Killing Floor like this.
  19. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

First off, it only happened last set. Normally I would say ask the guitarist. Unfortunately he has laid the ground rules for future conversations, "no negativity".

Sorry that doesn't play with me. He'd be would be given the chance to respond or be replaced.

He wants more time spent on a sound check, but states he won't be showing up early for anything, though maybe that might not include a sound check.

His reaction about volume being just fine, might not make the club owner happy or lead to future dates, so THAT is a problem.

Since you were the only one griping, you might want to reconsider this band.

It could be you, but his attitude is concerning.

20. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Surprisingly, both guitarists are using Fender combos. However, the lead player has a Line6 board with a bazillion patches on it with various volume levels. He chose one that was high volume and the other guitarist raised his volume to match.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021