Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It has come to this.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Nov 18, 2004.

1. As a teenager in the final farts and spurts of puberty, my acne has(and still is) getting out of hand. It hurts a lot to shave now, and I am on an oral medication, as well as a morning liquid thing, and a night cream.

What I am looking for here is the best diet to stop my raging pores, I have been trying to eat healthier anyways, but I know all this crap I eat isn't helping me in anyway.

Anyone know any special diets that would useful, maybe some other secret or usefull info?

Much appreciated am I. (Yeah, acne=t3h uber sux0r)

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I had shocking acne as a teenager. Tried everything! the only thing that worked was Roacutane. Beware the side effects, but the results were amazing.

3. Yeah, my parents won't put me on that stuff, cause my acne's "not bad enough" yet.

But at this rate, it could be.

This is really genetic though, my dad had terrible HORRID acne when he was a teen, and my mom didn't, so now I have half terrible plague death acne. Still hurts to shave though... and if it's anything I want at this point, it's a freakin beard.

[edit: actually, the beard part has nothing to do with this, but my face is a noob when it comes to having hair grow out of it. But still]

GRRR!R!RR!!!!!RR!R!R!!! :mad: :help:

4. I agree with PeteBass, i had the same thing...only thing that helped me was Roche Acutane...though the stuff had a side effect list that read like the synopsis for some mutant horror movie (i actually remember one of the precautions on the package was to "Never expose the pills to direct sunlight"...i was always waiting for "Never feed the pills after midnight")

Anyway, i specifically remember my dermatologist saying that your diet had little to no effect on your acne...the only thing that would help was prescip meds. Take that with a grain of salt however, keep in mind that he was trying to sell me those prescrip meds :)

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I never got it :p.

6. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    oh bollocks getting old, im 14 and have regular peach fuzz stashes that require regular shaving but im too lazy to do it.

i really dont have acne, i just pop mine and they go away after a week, just dig at em til a little scab comes off onto yer fingernail and let the acne sit

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    If script meds are out, what otc applications have you tried. Also, look into an electric razor, the new ones can be a little more gentle on the skin.

Mike

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep that list of side effects was long. I was luck and only had to deal with dry lips. Somehow I escaped anything worse.

My dermatologist also told me my acne was not diet related, though a bad diet would certainly have made things worse. At the time I was an absolute health freak and had an amazingly healthy diet. It didn't matter. My acne was also Genetic and this usually results in acne that is more hormonal than anything.

I wouldn't let my parents be making this call for me. I'd be leaving that decision to a doctor. No offense to you or your parents but sometimes parents try to keep their offspring in kid coral a little too long.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have some acne, its decently under control though. I know about the hurts to shave thing though.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Acne is caused by bacteria so the main thing (combined with your current treatment) is keeping your face clean and not touching it with your hands.

brad cook

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It sucks, but one way to get your body's hormones back in good working shape is to stop eating sugar-meaning anything with sugar, dextrose, high glucose corn syrup, etc. added. Removing those foods from your diet usually puts you on a great eating habit, but it's tough to break. It helped me.

12. I actually found the opposite when I recently changed my diet. Without a doubt, the best thing for me is going out in the sun. While I expect that I will have skin cancer problems in the future, not only does tanning make pimples less clear, it also dries up my skin. I only ever get acne when I'm stressed, though. Hence, I always try to address my stress levels and prevent acne in the first place.

Leigh

13. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm 18 and I still got it kinda bad. I've just come to accept it, it may be a part of what I look like, but it's not who I am. Get an electric razor, it works magic.

I have discovered that mine is pretty stress related as well. I was clearing up very nicely for the first half of this semester of college due to the very little stress I had (no parents, more free time, no chores, less homework, etc..) but with my finals coming up in 3 weeks, and my workload increasing over the past few weeks, it is coming back. I am very thankful that my Thanksgiving break starts tomorrow :hyper: So, try to do something about your stress levels; suprisingly, it can make a whole lot of difference.

14. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Let me give you this little piece of wisdom. I used to have pimples bad. Not bad bad but pretty darn bad. I washed my face with soap and then with Clearsil everyday. Then I ran out of Clearasil and started only washing my face with soap. My pimples went down by half. It turns out I was drying out my skin too much. Skin being too dry is just as bad as it is being to greasy.

When I have an outbreak now all I do is skip taking a shower for a day. It actually works.

15. Soap is the worst thing for mine. I have the shower and wash my face but without soap.

Leigh

16. MAN, it's good to be 45, and about 30 years past zits.

What am I doing, reading this thread, anyway?!

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Man, I don't really have acne anymore, save for a pimple here and there from time to time, but I still have red spots from where I used to have acne, so it makes it look like I have it.

oh well.

Yea, just wash your face and stop being a nerd.

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    reminiscing about the good ol days.

19. Really. Pass me the Clearasil.

20. I never really had bad acne on my face, but what I did have on my face my dermatoligist chalked up to my thick head of hair. She prescribed me with some dandruff shampoo that was loaded with zinc (no I didn't have dandruff, lol). The zinc in the shampoo would reduce the amount if oil that came down from my hair onto my face and caused acne. Since then my face has been basically clear. Also, try some Differin Gel. That stuff worked pretty good for me and I have heard it works well for others with I think it was called Benzaclyn or something. But the most affective would be the acutane I have heard. Push your parents to let you get acutane.