Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

it must be a scam

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guinea Pig, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    If that's just a regular Yamaha TRB, no it's not fake. And they're actually pretty well liked.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Considering Fender used to make Foto-Flame basses by putting a picture of a flame top on the front of basses, I'd say it's a fair question.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But Yamaha TRBs are not cheap basses - they are Yamaha's top of the range bass and some of them cost between $3,000 to $5,000 !!

And looking on the net, the retail price of that bass is $1500...:meh:

4. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I've played a couple of TRBs myself and I can tell you the finish is real and it's a very nice bass. And unless you are the owner of the 24 Carrat Gold finish Ritter I think you'll find the TRB is not a "cheaper" bass, see Bruce's post.

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    That's a real quilt for sure. It's usually pretty obvious. The photo ones are really 2d and not that nice looking.

6. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    It most definitely is ;) The TRB's are great basses, but they can weigh like a tank.

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The new TRB Bolt ons are $899

[​IMG]

8. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Are SX's real flamed maple tops? or fake?

Sorry for the high jacking, I just was curious

9. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    shame, alot of people like the TRB6II and the TRPJPs since they have such large spacing but since the new replacements for the TRB6II are the TRB100xs they have incredibly tight spacing which is fine for people which like it but not so good for people who want a wide spaced sixer.

10. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    it looks like real quilt to me, though it's probably only a thin veneer. If you look at the edge of body where the arm rest curve/slant is, the maple there doesn't have any figure.

11. The current SXs are photos. It says so right in the description. Some of the nicer SX guitars are real flame tops though, so we may see some real flame basses in the future.

An easy way to tell if a top is photo or real is to rotate the instrument in your hands. A real top will change, while a photo will look exactly the same.

12. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Most claims by manufacturers that they use "real" flame and quilted tops on less expensive instruments are indeed true, it's just that the top is most likely a paper thin flame or quilted maple veneer less than 1/32" in thickness. Binding around the top may be used to hide the true thickness of the top. Another method used to give the illusion of a thicker top is to use a layer of wood (ala a maple cap) that can be anywhere from 1/8" up to 1/2" between the veneer and the body. This would give the appearance that the entire cap is flame or quilted, even though it's not.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me as long as the instrument plays and sounds great.

- Ugly.

13. ok i was just curious cause i was looking for a decent 5 string this one caught my eye. You can never be too sure with manufactured basses.