1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

It's Riddle Time!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Apr 13, 2009.

1. I mean for this to become a megathread, so if you know any good ones, post 'em! Also, no googling the answers. ;)

You are in a house that has two levels: upstairs and downstairs. You are currently downstairs. You have in front of you a panel of three switches. One of them controls the only incandescent light in the house, which is located upstairs, and cannot be seen from downstairs. You are allowed to flip any combination of any switches on, and off, only once, and for an indefinite amount of time. You are allowed to take one trip upstairs. You are allowed to use any sense you possess to check the light while upstairs. Which switch controls the light?

Have fun. :D

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    turn one switch on for 15 minutes, turn it off, turn a second switch on and walk upstairs. either they will be on, off, or hot.

3. i got the answer but i aint posting it yet coz freaqy asked me not to spill it yet!

4. Actually, you're very close (or should I say, hot), but remember that you can only flip on one combination simultaneously, and then can't flip any others on, only off.

5. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Rip out the sheet rock to find out where the wires go.

6. edit: ok i'd explain

turn on the first switch for some minutes then you turn it off. turn on the second switch and go upstairs. If the light is on then its the second switch. If the light is off and warm then its the first switch. If the light is off and cold then its the third switch.

7. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    aah. hmm..ya got me.

8. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    yeah i posted a bit late. I got it, i got it.

9. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    the real riddle. what are the other two switches for?

10. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    You turn the first 2 switches on for a few minutes, then turn off the first one.

If the light is on, it's the second switch. If it's off but warm, it's the first switch. If it's off and cold, it's the third switch.

11. Ooh, so close, but you still broke my rule.

Turn on A and B. Leave them on for at least five minutes, turn off B. Go upstairs. If the light is on, it's A. If the light is warm, it's B. If the light is cold, it's C.

12. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    i thought you couldnt change the configuration of switches when you changed them the first time.

13. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    winner-theme.

14. No, you can't turn any more on after you turn any combo on. You can turn off some lights.

Middy nailed it.

15. Okay, riddle two.

Four men are lined up by a firing squad. One is wearing a black hat, Two is wearing a white hat, Three is wearing black, Four is wearing white. One and Two are separated by a brick wall. Both One and Two can only see the brick wall. Three can see Two and the brick wall. Four can see Three, Two, and the brick wall. The wall is not reflective, nor are their heads, nor are their hats. If any of them move or talk, they all get shot. They have been told that two have black hats and two have white hats. Any one of them has two minutes to name with COMPLETE CERTAINTY the color of his own hat. Which one of them can name the color of their hat before the two minutes expires?

16. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ill nail you!

17. Hooray for me!!!! It was me right? I got it right, right?

18. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Three calls it out. He knows that Four can see Three and Two. If Three and Two were wearing the same color hat, Four would know he has the opposite color. But since their hats are different colors, Four says nothing. Because Four says nothing, Three knows that himself and Two have different hats, so he calls out the opposite color of Two.

19. Soneone's a sharp cookie today! :)

You guys are too fast. I'll have to find an alternate source for some of my riddles.

In the meantime, if you've got them, post them!

20. Double Whammy.

You have a nine gallon jug, a five gallon jug, and a fifty gallon tank. You have a limitless supply of water. Pour precisely forty-seven gallons of water into the tank.

Machines A, B, and C produce ball bearings. Two machines produce one oz. bearings, but one is malfunctioning and producing 1.1 oz. bearings. You may weigh any combination of any number of bearings from any machine, ONCE. Which machine is malfunctioning?