Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

it's so tempting!?!?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigBbass451, Aug 3, 2005.

1. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    This cabinet seems to be made in heaven plus the price is impossibly low. what am I not seeing!! 8x10, handles 3600 watts(will never need that much), and is extremely cheap. What's the catch??

Search Madison Bass Cab on Ebay.com

Description

This cabinet is brand new and made by steelsound. We warranty it for life. As you can see, it is as strong as an ox. We challenge you to find a stronger 810 cabinet in the world. If you have ever been inside of a well known name brand cabinet, you would see nothing that would even come close to this cabinet. Braced on the side and from front to back in multiple positions. Loaded with the Madison Warrior 10's the bottom end is very heavy and extremely loud! Mid tones from this cabinet are superior to that of more well known name brands or name branded woofers. Probably one of the most transparent sounds you are ever going to hear. This is a powerhouse cabinet. We have run a QSC PLX2402 on this monster and couldn't hurt it. Don't let the round grills throw you off, this cabinet is highly professional in both sound and quality design and construction and in fact will rival any top name brand if not destroy them. See for yourself, you have our personal guarantee to everything we have mentioned here. Your gonna love this cabinet. If your looking for huge sound, power and great tone you have to snatch one of these up.

You might want to think about picking up some casters at your local hardware store of here on ebay though. This is a very heavy cabinet and casters would help a great deal.

Cabinet features

4x4x.75 slot vent

heavy duty black carpet

7ply 3/4" maple construction

heavy internal bracing

jack plate with dual 1/4" sealed connectors

Wire is not included.

rubber feet on bottom

bar handles

round steel grills, clamps and screws included.

metal corners

dual piezo tweeters

face rails included so you can mount a full face grill if desired.

45" tall x 25" wide x 16" deep

weighs approx. 160 lbs empty.

1600 watts rms

3200 watts peak

4ohm

98db

37 to 20,000hz

2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Sound quality? Customer support? Warranty? Durability?

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    They left out the spec about it being a piece of crap.

Do a search on Madison & Steel Sound.

4. Talk about a huge cabinet. 160 pounds empty, good lord! You would get very tired of lugging this thing around.

They mention in the description about the round grills being unprofessional. Whats so hard about just putting a regular grill on a cab like that? Seems like they'd sell more that way.

5. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    That made me laugh a little. Very subtle. :D

6. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    My take is that this is one of their "old look" models in the SSB series. Take a look at the SSB cabs here: http://store.steelsound.com/Search.bok?category=Bass:Cabinets
    You'll see that the other SSB cabs have a grill that covers the entire cab...This 8x10 doesn't. Since they are offering free shipping, my guess is that they want to get rid of it for the "newer look" models or new stock. If you buy it, they sell full-face steel grill covers on their website so you can set yourself up.

I have a SSB212L cab...Same maple construction with madison speakers. It's been a no-brainer. It's held up over several gigs and sounds decent. Steelsound cuts corners with hardware to save money (plastic handles and jack plate, no wheels, small metal corner protectors, average "rat fur" covering), but the SSB (maple) cabs seem to hold up and sound decent with the madisons, which is most important. Those piezos are not hissy.

The 98db rating is average. But dude, if you're looking for big sound on a budget, I'd say go for it. Can't lose with a lifetime warranty, and there is a growing fan base of the Steelsound SSB cabs here on Talkbass (small, yet growing).

Edit: Steelsound's Legion Sound EMI line is the cheap particle board line of cabs Steelsound also sells. Don't get those confused with the SSBs, many do.

7. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005
  8. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    You're better off w/the ADA, it looks like Steelsound doesn't have a 15 in their SSB series, and you'd have to settle w/the EMI 115 which is particle board. 200W seems kind of low on the ADA, but I guess I'm not going to argue much w/an EV speaker.

9. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    wow that was a fast response. Thanks for all the help guys, you've definaitly made me consider many different aspects of this cab.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    "This is a powerhouse cabinet. We have run a QSC PLX2402 on this monster and couldn't hurt it. Don't let the round grills throw you off, this cabinet is highly professional in both sound and quality design and construction and in fact will rival any top name brand if not destroy them."

Hmmmm.....lot's of guys here at TB use the PLX2402 with no problems. Heck, many guys use the 3002, AND som even the 3402.

Rival, and even destroy top name brand cabinets? This comment is ridiculous.

Don't let the round grills throw me off? If it IS such a professional cabinet, why leave open any opportunity for people to think otherwise. I don't see Schroeder, Epifani, Bergantino, or others using cheap-o hardware and then saying crap like that on their websites. It's professional, or it isn't. In this case, we have us a really huge car stereo cabinet. Nothing professional about it.

-Mike

11. yeah, but noone else has bracing like thiers, not that that will throw off the tuning of the cab or anything :rolleyes:

12. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    well, if madison 12" speakers only have a response to 35hz, what will their tens have? a low b is 31.87hz, remember that.

13. 160 pounds. Empty. How much do 8 large magnet pro bass speakers weigh?

Also the 98dB is just average, indication it may require lots of power to get loud if that's how efficient it is. Or isn't.

Seems like I've seen cabs in the 102-104dB range. 104dB cab with 300w = 98dB cab with 1200w. 101dB cab with 600W = 98dB cab with 1200W. If you've got power to burn, fine. But if you have to buy a power amp to drive this, factor in the bigger amp you'll need with the less efficient cab vs a smaller amp that will produce the same results with the more efficient cab.

Randy

14. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005

I dont know much about amps, but is an EV speaker pretty good? I think its pretty much hands down getting ADA. Why not pay $30 more and get something, from what I've seen is much better. I don't know though because ADA is out of business now. I'm just using this to gig. I hope that its enough power, I mean only being 200 watts.

15. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    You might look at one of these instead:

Ebay auction

Birch, weighs 150 lbs loaded, which isn't unusual for an 8x10 from what I've seen. I imagine this one is better than the one you were looking at, and sure looks a lot nicer. Also has tolex instead of the rat fur, big plus.

I have the eminence loaded birch 4x10 from them and it sounds great, easily as good as most cabs twice the price. A buddy of mine bought an Avatar a while back and mine sounds just as good, I actually like the sound of mine a little better even, but as far as build quality it's up there with a lot of cabs, despite what some who have never tried their new ones here may say.

Steelsound has come a long way from the X-audio and Legion Sound cabinets they used to sell (and are now clearing out) and seem to be permanantly associated with those old lines on the boards. Heard a local band with an X-audio...bleh. But if you don't have money for expensive cabs what are you gonna do? The kid could play fine his gear just wasn't the best.

I've never heard the maple madison cabs, but the birch ones are really nice, especially for the money! I'm going to buy a 115 from them soon to compliment my 410, then going to upgrade my amp to a GK 1001rb soon and call it a day.