1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've HAD it with focusrite

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jaijai, Nov 23, 2017.

1. jaijai

jaijai

Apr 5, 2016
    Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new interface. I had the Scarlett 2i2 and have had so many issues with it. Sometimes it won't record any audio, sometimes it will but the audio is super squelchy, sometimes it records but the audio is recorded so low I can barely hear it even though monitors or headphones. I have a feeling it has something to do with their drivers being incompatible with my MacBook and I've updated them but I still have problems.

With that being said, I'm looking for a basic interface that will work with a Mac. Something that I don't have to fiddle with, just plug and play, preferably with 2 or more inputs. No Focusrites please.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Have you contacted Focusrite?

ddnidd1 likes this.
  3. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    Basywater, Western Australia
    Audiofly In-Ear Monitors And Headphones

Yeah, I'd definitely be requesting a warranty replacement. That one sounds faulty!

4. I have a couple of Focusrites. No issues.

Its either totally defective or there is some configuration and/or hardware issue.

Either way I would definitely give Focusrite a call.

If its a configuration/hardware issue, a new interface will most likely have problems also.

bfields likes this.
  5. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    I use a MOTU Ultralite AVB (the newest one IIRC). Nice little unit. 2 Hi-z 1/4" inputs, 2 mic inputs with phantom power, plus a bunch of unpowered aux inputs in the back. Runs about 500 bucks. I'm running Windows, so I get a few bugs with the USB hosts sometimes, but that happens with every audio interface. Windows doesn't like USB audio unless you tweak it right. MOTU has a great reputation among Mac users though.

I like the unit itself. It's easy, intuitive, doesn't screw up any audio when recording, and pretty inexpensive as far as audio gear goes.

6. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    If you were going to be in the market for a mixer, the Allen and Heath boards are great, I have the Zed 10fx, and you go straight into USB. I love using the mixer anyway for practice, jamming to tunes, etc- and the FX package with the board are great, as are the mic pres

7. bfields

bfields

Apr 9, 2015
    Ann Arbor, MI
    That's weird, why would it even need any drivers? It's a totally standard USB audio interface as far as I know.

Googling around.... Focusrite's site (Downloads | Focusrite) says:

"The Scarlett 2i2 runs in class-compliant mode on a Mac. No driver is required. Simply plug and play.

If you have previously installed the Focusrite USB driver and are experiencing glitchy audio on Mavericks you can put your unit into class compliant mode by following the instructions HERE."

Might be worth looking into.

Snaxster likes this.
  8. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Explore Presonus AudioBox: any one of them. It comes with a full on DAW Stuido One 3 Artist. I've never had a problem with it, no computer crashes, no latency, works great.

Check out the YouTube videos to see what Presonus is about.

9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have a 6i6, and love it. The Focusrite 2i2 doesn't need any drivers on a Mac. Plug it in, and it works. I use mine with Reaper. I don't think it's your hardware, but your configuration. And don't buy any interface for the cripple-ware they give you "for free".

Alik and bfields like this.
  10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Never had any issues with any Focusrite Scarlett interface I’ve ever used. They even run fine without any issues or drivers needed on Linux since they’re class compliant devices.

You definitely want to contact Focusrite. They’ll get you sorted.