1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

J Bass Pickups, looking for clear sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Myrriad, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Myrriad

Myrriad Banned

Oct 11, 2012
    Squier VM Jazz. Added black vintage stlye knobs, black control plate, a black Gotoh 201 Bridge, and I'll have some black Hipshot HB7s in soon, as well as some DR Black Beauties. I've got what I want aesthetically, but the sound isn't quite what I want. I'm looking for some J Bass pickups that will drop right in without any hassle, with a clear sound.

2. JGBass06

JGBass06

Dec 21, 2010
    DR Strings/GK Amps/Nordstrand Pickups/Igig Cases
    Nordstrand NJ4's

3. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Nordys are awesome, but if you are into a more vintage type tone I would recommend David Allen Pickups. I'll put them up against anything. He only makes one set, but they are a great set.

4. -Nordstrand
    -Lindy Fralin

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Fralin's

6. awamori

awamori

Dec 10, 2009
    Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2.

7. The PUs that get most frequently recommended on average (if you distilled the last 100 PU posts) are (IMHO, AFAIK etc etc):

Lindy Fralin
    Seymour Duncan - Antiquity II
    Nordstrand
    Fender Custom Shop '60s

There are over 200 manufacturers of PUs. Everyone has a different opinion. I'm currently looking at 3 UK suppliers that you won't have heard of!

Davo

8. An old tried and true standby - Di Marzio Model Js with adjustable black pole pieces.

9. cocodrilo58

cocodrilo58

Aug 19, 2008
    Get a set of reed james vintage correct jazz bass pickups

10. cocodrilo58

cocodrilo58

Aug 19, 2008
    Website. Reedjamescustompickups.com

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    No need to spend for boutique pickups if you want clear, basic J-bass tone. Try Duncan SJB-1 if you want single coils, or DiMarzio Area J to go noiseless. They're safe bets and easy to find.

12. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    I replaced my J basses with the Duncan STK-J2's and have been VERY happy with them. I tried alot of others and those were what I settled on....IT just comes down to your taste...You will hear a lot of opinions here for sure.
    ANY quality brand pickups will do fine. Just check out their specs to see if they are what you want.
    I wanted a clear clean and punchy sound without and hum and that's why I chose the Duncans STK's
    Good luck.