1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

J/MM wireing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by justbill, Jun 30, 2007.

1. justbill

justbill

Mar 30, 2007
    eastsidadeetroit
    I just received a bass body from ebayland that is routed for a J in the neck and MM at the bridge. Knowing nothing about electronics apart from a little reading, I am at a loss designing a wireing scheme.

This is my first attempt at screwing together a parts bass, so I should probably keep it simple. Something like vol/ vol/ tone. But I've noticed that there appear to be several different ways to wire the MM4.2 or MM4.3 (Nordstrand).

So.... I have a few questions:

Would I need a pre amp with this combination?
    Does the MM in single coil mode create a lot of noise?
    Do I need to have a selector switch to choose btween series, parrallel and single on the MM or is there one classic tone that really sez MM?

Any advice or schematics will be much appreciated.

bill

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

See FAQ Dimento's Trouble Shooting Guide and Bass Mod link within.

Would I need a pre amp with this combination? No

Does the MM in single coil mode create a lot of noise?

Probably but you won't know till you do it. Shielding or tieing it in with the J in an HB mod could help (which is not styaing with simple).

Do I need to have a selector switch to choose between series, parrallel and single on the MM?

You need a switch (maybe two) not necessarily a "selector" switch as in the typical guitar but mini-toggles are most often used in a bass (which are small and a soldering challenge).

Is there one classic tone that really sez MM?

Seems stock EB MM is parallel.

Keeping it truly simple would probably be leaving the switch out. Even then, if you're anything like me, you'll screw something up.

3. justbill

justbill

Mar 30, 2007
    eastsidadeetroit
    Thanks for your input. I appreciate your time and knowlege.
    I'm really looking forward to this project.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021